I am stupid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

credible2

Reaction score
This evening, I was washing and sanitizing my bottles for an American Brown Ale I was brewing. My original gravity was .055. And my final gravity was .017. Now, my projected final gravity was .014, so I thought something was wrong. I was worrying about gushing bottles, or even exploding bottles for at least an hour :(

But I am so stupid because I just realized that I took my final reading AFTER priming the beer. I am so relieved :D

But I gotta say, my beer looked so BEAUTIFUL. It had a dark reddish glow. I'll have to post some pics of the final product

Credible, the other thing is that the 1.014 was the 'projected' final gravity - your actual final gravity can vary based on yeast health, fermentation temperature, mash temps (if you brew all grain) or the make up of the extract if your beer uses that. I'm sure there are other variables that impact final gravity.

So, don't fret if your final gravity doesn't exactly match your projected final gravity - it was the projection that was off :)

yeah Jim. I am not SO worried about the final gravity. But 3 points is quite a lot. But you're right- there are a number of factors that contribute to the final gravity. It's just that I'm kinda new to home brewing. I get too nervous sometimes.

But thanks for the input :)

Back