I am officially worried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsimo33

Reaction score
So I bottled my first batch Monday night. It was a Weizenbier kit from Brewer's Best. I followed all the directions. Cleaned and sanitized I let sit in the primary for 3 weeks. The temperature remained steady between 66-68 degrees. Never got above 70. I racked to the bottling bucket after pouring the priming sugar solution in and mixed well. I had a half bottle at the end that I capped and was later told to just drink it. So I threw it in the fridge yesterday morning and took it out last night to drink. It was cloudy as I poured it in the glass. I got to say it was not the best. I knew it would be flat and the first taste was ok. The aftertaste was horrible. I choked it down because it is still beer but it was tough. Tell me that it will get better with time please. Is this normal?

You have to remember that it was green beer,uncarbonated,cloudy,with priming solution it it. That would account for most of if not all of the taste. Leave it alone for 3-4 weeks in the bottle. It'll be worlds different.

No worries. Your bottled beer that completes it's carbonation and "matures" for an additional couple weeks will be well worth the wait. You might even want to chill them for a week before drinking after they carbonate and condition.

You're tasting flat green beer with suspended yeast. Not a recipe for tasty beer.

After carb/condition time,I try to fridge mine for at least a week. Preferably,2 weeks. Thicker head & Longer lasting carbonation at 2 weeks.

Thanks for the information. I thought that would be the case but I was a little worried when I drank it last night. I plan on letting it condition for 7 days and put 1 in the fridge and try it after a few days in the fridge, then repeat at 14 and 21 days to see what the differences are after different times of conditioning. It's a learning process I know and I am stoked that I can make my own beer now and drink what I want to drink instead of the BMC that I have been drinking.

Yeast sediment is pretty bitter and tastes very little like the beer that it came from. I actually drink a lot of it since when my beers go in the keg it takes a few pours for the sediment to clear. Once the sediment clears the taste of the beer is completely different.

Thanks for the information. I thought that would be the case but I was a little worried when I drank it last night. I plan on letting it condition for 7 days and put 1 in the fridge and try it after a few days in the fridge, then repeat at 14 and 21 days to see what the differences are after different times of conditioning. It's a learning process I know and I am stoked that I can make my own beer now and drink what I want to drink instead of the BMC that I have been drinking.

Yeah, you can do that, but honestly, it's not going to be much different in 7 days. Except that you might get a gusher when you open the bottle, since the CO2 hasn't dissolved into the beer yet.

It's almost impossible to wait on batch #1. I did the same thing, sampling every 7 days or so. You will notice a change I think.

Best thing you can do is get another batch going now, so that eventually you have a pipeline. This way you won't have to drink green beer that's not ready yet.

I think you are going to be fine. Everyone on here has a hard time waiting for the first batch. Just wait your two weeks and you will have some tasty beer. I would recommend setting a few bottles back and forgetting about them for a few weeks. When you taste the well conditioned beer in a few weeks it will help you wait for future batches to come!

Latest posts

Back