I am giving up beer for 30 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Can you handle more alcohol now than when you first started to drink?" vs. "Have you recently noticed that you can’t drink as much as you used to?"...doesn't leave much room to not at least get a score of 1...I'm thinking this test is a little fishy.

Here to post support for ArizonaGoalie. Be strong man!

I've been wondering about myself the last few weeks and after 36 oz/day for the last 4 days it may be time for me to back off as well.

You consider 36oz a lot? That's not even 3 pints worth! Wow, if that's an indication of drinking heavily, than wow, I drink really heavily at times.

I scored an 8 on the alcoholic test. I should seriously "see a professional about my problem."

If it makes you feel better I scored a 5 :D

That test is great. It weights everything the same. So if you say "yes I can handle more then when I started drinking" Its the same as "I stay drunk for several days at a time" or Yes I have the shakes when I don't drink"

You consider 36oz a lot? That's not even 3 pints worth! Wow, if that's an indication of drinking heavily, than wow, I drink really heavily at times.

I scored an 8 on the alcoholic test. I should seriously "see a professional about my problem."

I was going to go talk to my bottle shop owner, then on down to the Ale House and talk to the owner there. I'd talk to my LHBS owner, but that guy works for beer.

That test is great. It weights everything the same. So if you say "yes I can handle more then when I started drinking" Its the same as "I stay drunk for several days at a time" or Yes I have the shakes when I don't drink"

Turns out that internet quizzes are not an accurate metric to determine addiction.

Eleven. I assume we are playing by table tennis rules, so I win.

I gave up alcohol for lent once. It sucked. I haven't been without at least one drink for more than a few days at a time since.

I feel like they have this question backwards:

11. Do you usually have a reason for the occasions when you drink heavily?

So they're saying it's better if you drink heavily for no apparent reason?

I think it's a "justifying" deal... like, "Oh yeah, it's cool that I just drank a 30 pack of Busch Light because I'm celebrating the fact that I broke a pair of those take out chopsticks and they actually separated where they were supposed to."

First of all. Good luck man! It's nice to clear the ole noggin every once in a while. I think you'll really enjoy the time away. Keep up posted! I should do something like this too just for the sake of doing it and getting into a new routine of being more active. I wish you the best of luck!

aaaaaand 2ndly... :off:

I took this just for grins and I got a 3. All 3 of the questions I said yes to are sort of bs though. "Can you drink more now than when you started to drink?" Yes, of course I can. 3 sips would get me buzzed when I first started to drink. Isn't that everyone's case?

And just because someone had an issue with alcoholism in my family doesn't mean I need to seek help. lol. I've gotten in trouble for other things, non alcohol related, that required me to go to private addiction counseling, 9 AA classes, and an asap class for 12 weeks. I found I definitely didn't have any issues with substance abuse..... This test reminds me of an intake quiz for rehab. useless...

Yes, I drink more when there's an occasion to drink more. Again, I don't think that's an issue as long as you have a DD or a place to crash and your "occasion" isn't that you made it through the day :cross:
OK. Rant over. Is it 5 yet??

https://ncadd.org/learn-about-alcohol/alcohol-abuse-self-test

I took the test and score a 4- so according to "them" I have an issue.
Like I said, I have 1 with dinner. Maybe 1 or 2 more on weekends. Some of of the people I know drank what ever they found and lost entire weeks to it.

This was a great link - thanks! It solidified that I'm making the right decision. I SCORED A 10. :drunk:

Thanks to everyone for your insight, feedback, sharing, and support. Brew on!!!

DAY ONE - NO BEER:

Today was actually quite easy, partially in part to me spending a good part of the day in the ER and getting home late.

When I got home, my familiar "which home brew am I drinking tonight" hit me, and even with a garage fridge FULL, it was easy to resist. Still, it feels weird not to be sipping a pint and washing out a bottle for re-use.

Instead, I had a tall cup of joe, french roast, with a little bit of cocoa for a treat.

29 days left.

****If you're joining me on this wagon ride, would love to see updates from you too.*****

DAY ONE - NO BEER:

Today was actually quite easy, partially in part to me spending a good part of the day in the ER and getting home late.

When I got home, my familiar "which home brew am I drinking tonight" hit me, and even with a garage fridge FULL, it was easy to resist. Still, it feels weird not to be sipping a pint and washing out a bottle for re-use.

Instead, I had a tall cup of joe, french roast, with a little bit of cocoa for a treat.

29 days left.

****If you're joining me on this wagon ride, would love to see updates from you too.*****

Day 1 of about 70 days (until I lose 20 pounds). Satan needs a beach bod!

Not too hard today. Definitely going to eat a little dessert to ward off this sugar craving. Excited to lose some weight after gaining a few over memorial day weekend. Tomorrow will be very hard playing softball without beer. Thursday will be hard brewing without beer, especially because I picked up a couple special beers for brew day, and now I can't drink em. That Petrus Aged Pale will just have to wait. Same to the Clown Shoes.:eek:

Also, ArizonaGoalie, what's with the ER?

I am in. Haven't gone without for we'll over a year. Scored a 5 on the test. Day one was good, but if I didn't tell my wife I would not have done. I need some accountability.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

DAY ONE - NO BEER:

29 days left.

One day down.
It would have been easier if I didn't work with such imbeciles, but I'm determined to make this work.

Also started phase one of the South Beach plan. Down 1.6 pounds for the day.

"Do you usually have a reason for the occasions when you drink heavily?"
If I answer NO, does this mean I drink heavily for no reason?
Or if I say yes at least I am drinking heavily for a reason but it still counts against me.
also
"Has a family member or close friend express concern or complained about your drinking?"
I answered NO, but SWMBO remined me that my Mother, who is a teetotaler complains about my drinking, even if I have 1 drink!
so I had to go back and change my answer, now I am at a 5.

Test is BS. There are 26 questions. I scored a low 3 including "I can drink more now than when I first started. (duh...)" and 2 other BS questions and they said I should talk to a professional about my problem.

So scoring 3 out of 26 is bad. Mmmmmmmkay.

Actually, I thought about taking a week off. I will probably just try to get more exercise.

I am in. Haven't gone without for we'll over a year. Scored a 5 on the test. Day one was good, but if I didn't tell my wife I would not have done. I need some accountability.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Good move - I did the same, she's on board as well. Makes a big difference.

good luck man! I did a week recently and felt fantastic...even if i have just A beer in the evening i feel a bit sluggish in the mornings... i love brewing and i love my beer, but i'ts made me fat and lazy.... haha

Have you tried switching brands or drinks, or following different plans to control your drinking?

Funny. I'm switching to straight homebrew. It won't drink itself. I scored a 5...

If you answer just two questions yes then you better arrange a personal meeting with somebody that probably has more problems than you.

Day two wasn't too bad. I've left my beer in the fridge and whiskey sitting by my desk. I want the motivation to diet faster so I can drink sooner. Or rather, I want drinking to be the motivation to diet faster. I did have to sample two meads and a session IPA, but that was less than an ounce all around. A sweet, sweet, ounce...

I'm down 7lbs from the weekend, but that's not too unusual. This weekend will be the hard part. Going to a wedding.

good luck man! I did a week recently and felt fantastic...even if i have just A beer in the evening i feel a bit sluggish in the mornings... i love brewing and i love my beer, but i'ts made me fat and lazy.... haha

A beer a day (or even 2 or 3) isn't going to make you fat and lazy. Acting fat and lazy is going to make you fat and lazy.

A beer a day (or even 2 or 3) isn't going to make you fat and lazy. Acting fat and lazy is going to make you fat and lazy.

Unfortunately, I've found that even drinking one beer after work makes me feel more relaxed and tired and I find I lose a lot of ambition to get things done.

I am much more productive after work if I hold off on having a beer until after I get some things done.

not saying that ONE beer is making me fat and lazy. I'm saying brewing beer and drinking has me fat and lazy, has absolutely nothing to do with the first part of that statement. Thanks for making statements about how i am NOT acting :)

I had my last beers on 5/9/15 for my 14th wedding anniversary. Only alcohol I have has since was over the weekend I had some diet coke and jack on the holiday. Been running on the treadmill 2-3 miles 4-5 times a week, doing the atkins low carb. Down about 20 lbs ish.

On my last beer night I did have some good ones though

Rochester Mills Milkshake Stout x 2
Kevin Baconator smoked doppelbock at a place in South Lyon, I forget the name of the new brewery there.
A high octane belgian strong ale at blocks brewing company in Howell.

And a few homebrews at home that night.

I miss pizza just about as much as I do the beer. I am a bachelor tonight and would normally love to go to Jets pizza in Chelsea for a few slices and they have 41 craft beers on tap.

Sad thing is I have these in the kegerator:
Breakstout Stout
Maple Pecan Porter
Nutbrown

And I have these ready to keg:
Blonde coffee ale
Russian Imperial Stout

My wife normally is my drinking buddy but she has cut way way back as well. She is probably have 2-3 per week instead of per night.

Day three is down, seems to be getting easier. I hope I didn't just sabotage myself but I ordered two Saison kits. The good news is that they won't be ready to drink for a few months.

-3.4 pounds from day zero.

not saying that ONE beer is making me fat and lazy. I'm saying brewing beer and drinking has me fat and lazy, has absolutely nothing to do with the first part of that statement. Thanks for making statements about how i am NOT acting :)

Well, that's why there's a time and place for having beer. I usually try not to have any until after I've gotten everything I wanted to get done for the day/evening; basically when I've decided it's time to relax.
I also love having a couple after a long bike ride. Damn that feels good. Yesterday I went on a 20 miles ride and came home and had a pint of helles. It was 80F and it was refreshing. Then I went and mowed the lawn and had another pint of helles after. That was nice.

It's hard to not be fat and lazy if you don't exercise. I know I would be if I didn't ride a bike all the time (as much as I like to drink and eat). But I do it because I know it's good for me.

Unfortunately, I've found that even drinking one beer after work makes me feel more relaxed and tired and I find I lose a lot of ambition to get things done.

I am much more productive after work if I hold off on having a beer until after I get some things done.

I am the opposite. I come home from work pop a homebrew cream ale. Make dinner for the kids.
We eat, I finish my beer and go outside and get work done.
I tend to be productive no matter how many beers I have had. Which can get weird when I am out cutting branches or moving compost on the weekend with 1/2 a load on!

I am the opposite. I come home from work pop a homebrew cream ale. Make dinner for the kids.
We eat, I finish my beer and go outside and get work done.
I tend to be productive no matter how many beers I have had. Which can get weird when I am out cutting branches or moving compost on the weekend with 1/2 a load on!

I wish I could do that. I have a few trees that need cutting up and I know I'll be drinking tea or water or I'll get halfway done and say, F it. Time to go in and sit down and relax!

Actually, I do find it nice to drink a beer while cooking. But then I cook and don't' get anything else done that night.

DAY THREE - NO BEER:

I usually play hockey on Thursdays, but when I don't have a game scheduled we go to Karl Strauss for cask night. Well, no hockey last night, muscle memory had me scheduling a stop at Karl for a pint or two of cask and some wings. No dice. Survived another day without beer (and alcohol just to be clear). Settled for a Chipotle burrito.

27 days left. Already fantasizing about what will be my first beer....

Back