I added the lactic acid late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthBayBrewer31

SouthBayBrewer31
Reaction score
I’m doing a 90 minute mash with about 95% Pilsner malt. At 50 minutes left I realized I forgot the lactic acid ‍♂️. I just added it, but is it too late?

Your mash efficiency may suffer a little, but you should be fine overall unless your water chemistry is REALLY out of whack. I brewed for years without making any pH adjustments and never produced anything terrible.
You'll still want to add it though, because the pH will affect break formation in the boil and such, so add it now and forget about it.

Your mash efficiency may suffer a little, but you should be fine overall unless your water chemistry is REALLY out of whack. I brewed for years without making any pH adjustments and never produced anything terrible.
You'll still want to add it though, because the pH will affect break formation in the boil and such, so add it now and forget about it.

Thanks, I started with RO water and added gypsum and calcium chloride per the ez water spread sheet, so my water chemistry isn’t out of line.

Thanks, I started with RO water and added gypsum and calcium chloride per the ez water spread sheet, so my water chemistry isn’t out of line.
Yeah, in that case (starting with RO), you won't have any buffering built in, so the gypsum and CaCl will bring your pH down a fair amount. Your pH will be a little high, but it should still be fine. Enzymes actually like the upper range, so your efficiency shouldn't be bad.
RDWHAHB!

Back