I’m joining the dark side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
For a couple years I’ve been adamant about bottling, and I’m not sure if this is a natural progression of things, but one day I just said F it, bottling day is the one thing I hate.

So, I just bought a couple kegs from my LHBS and another fridge :)

right on, right on! don't forget the 20lb co2 tank though! and regulator.....QD's.....but definitely better then bottling!

You're going to need more kegs...

And beer line, gas line, regulator, manifolds, faucets, money, tap handles, power tools, therapy, quick disconnects, 20# tank, 5# tank for back-up, spare gaskets, marriage counseling, a couple more kegs, poppets, tap shanks, and some hose clamps. That's about it though. Welcome to kegging :)

And beer line, gas line, regulator, manifolds, faucets, money, tap handles, power tools, therapy, quick disconnects, 20# tank, 5# tank for back-up, spare gaskets, marriage counseling, a couple more kegs, poppets, tap shanks, and some hose clamps. That's about it though. Welcome to kegging :)

yeah...maybe, but it's still better then bottling! ;)

luckily I’m not married yet and the place I bought wasn’t one I bought with someone else, so it’s my house... for now ;)

if anything, my girlfriend always commented on the bottle trees and empty bottles by the sink. At least a kegerator and growlers look cooler lol.

I have to keep the operation small though, currently living in a 2 bedroom apartment so I just bought a double tap kegerator, mainly cause it’s less real estate than a Chest freezer

Last edited:
You’ll never go back, I make 10 gallon batches and I said I’ll keg half and bottle half, I have never bottled another batch. Kegs take up way less space and after all the upfront costs it is easier and less time consuming than bottling, at least IMHO.

I have bought and acquired enough kegs now that even if I want to age something I can just put that keg away for as long as I need.

You're already right. I'm thinking of buying 1-2 more just to have a ready-to-go keg when one of em gets kicked.

I was thinking of brewing a batch before one gets emptied and priming it so it'll be ready to rock once it's hooked up and chilled. Is that a good way to go? I honestly don't mind a little sediment, being used to drinking bottled beer all this time.

My only regret after moving to kegging (20 years ago) was that I didn’t do it sooner!

Also it’s pretty easy to bottle some from the keg if you want to share or send for a competition...

You're already right. I'm thinking of buying 1-2 more just to have a ready-to-go keg when one of em gets kicked.

I was thinking of brewing a batch before one gets emptied and priming it so it'll be ready to rock once it's hooked up and chilled. Is that a good way to go? I honestly don't mind a little sediment, being used to drinking bottled beer all this time.

It's a great way to go. There's a couple different school's of thought on this. You could naturally prime a keg - pour sugar in and let it sit for a couple weeks just like you do bottles. You could also hook it up to gas at serving pressure at serving temperature and after a week or so it'll be carbonated. There are different gas carbonation practices, but that's a different thread.

Personally I have seven kegs and three taps. Generally, there are three being served and four either full and waiting to be served or waiting to be filled.

You're going to love it. There's still cleaning and work involved, just a lot less of it.

Bottling off the tap is easy. Keep everything cold, and you'll have far less foaming issues. You don't need an expensive or complicated rig for it. I have an adapter that screws onto my faucets, with about a 14" hose (long enough to reach the bottom of my biggest growler). I keep the hose in the freezer, along with a few sanitized bottles (tops covered with little pieces of aluminum foil). I chill the faucet by pulling the first couple of ounces into a glass. I dispose of that down my throat, then bottle. Bottling a few beers this way is ridiculously easy compared to priming and bottling a full 5gal batch.

Good move. Think expansion. After enjoying the ease of kegging, you will want to have multiple.
And definitely a spare CO2 tank.

Just an update, man I'm loving it lol. Got my 2nd keg in there a couple days ago (Belgian Wit) and probably going to make an apple cider for the gf who doesn't like beer but loves cider.

Instead of a 2 hour bottling / cleaning process, it took 30 mins, and that included installing new air lines / connectors and a 3-way gas manifold to accommodate the 2nd and 3rd kegs, & checking the system for leaks.

I have to admit, I was intimidated at first, working with the kegs and CO2 for the first time, but once you get the hang of it, I don't see how anyone can possibly go back.

Also an added bonus, with the whole needing to buy more groceries and stay inside, I don't have my fridge halfway filled up with 70+ bottles of beer. I guarantee my gf and I would have argued about the lack of fridge space if I was still bottling ;)

Latest posts

Back