Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcj2

Reaction score
I have a hydrometer and have take basic readings for where beers should be but haven't figured out the official gravity to the number can someone explain this to me

I'm not sure specifically what you're asking. Are you wondering how you determine what the original gravity of a beer should be? It's based on your recipe. If it's a kit, the original gravity should be listed in the instruction. If not imputing the recipe into any brewing software, free or otherwise, will tell yo what it should be.

Is that what you're asking?

Well for instance say the gravity is supposed to be 1.something the hydrometer I have doesn't have a scale like that

You're hydrometer should have a scale that looks like this.

Beer-Hydrometer.jpg

hydrometer-closeup.gif

Could be the 120 minute but i want to applaud revvy on an awesome informative post. Its nice to see the help from one homebrewer to another instead of internet trolling

I guess mine is like that just didn't understand how to read it so one line under where 1.01 and under 1.02 and so forth? And do you guys use the sugar readings for anything? Also what Is the best thing to take a reading in?

I guess mine is like that just didn't understand how to read it so one line under where 1.01 and under 1.02 and so forth? And do you guys use the sugar readings for anything? Also what Is the best thing to take a reading in?

No in brewing beer, we just us the Specific Gravity scale.

The two most common tools to draw a sample is a wine theif, or a turkey baster.

This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys.

I replaced the plastic one a year ago with an extra long stainless baster from a kitchen ware store and it is awesome. But the plastic one from any grocery store works fine.

turkeybastera.jpg

And

75862_451283689066_620469066_5427695_1841038_n.jpg

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) add hydrometer and take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again. More like 15 if you ask me.

Probably less if you have help. And unless a bird flies in your place and lets go with some poop, you should be okay.

Bobby M has a great video on doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically,1.000 is water at the temp your particular hydrometer should be set at. Then the 10,20,30,40,etc lines are read as 1.010,1.020,1.030,etc. The small lines in between the 10,20,30,40 etc are read as 2,4,6,8. So one smal line below 10 would be read as 1.012. Always read at the base of the meniscus.

Latest posts

Back