hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikee

Reaction score
so the last few batches of beer I have made i have been a little annoyed that they have been finishing high. 6 to 8 points high. I thought what the heck am I doing wrong!! I thought I was making some of the wort unfermentable or something.

now i'm questioning my hydrometer - can it be calibrated? can they be that far off?

You can do a control on your hydrometer. Just put fresh water at 60 degrees and Specific Gravity should be 1.0000

Sure, they can be way off. The slip of paper in them can slide. To check it, test it in 60 degree water and take a reading. If it's 1.000, then it's perfect. I have one that is off .002 so I just add .002 to my reading each time.

As far as FG, a lot goes into it. Yeast health and pitching rate, the strain itself, temperature, and ingredients as well as mash temp all contribute greatly. A projected FG is only as good as the recipe maker's experience.

Way off. I had one I got from a LHBS that was 4 points off before the first time I used it. the paper had obviously slipped. I made it slip back but eventually got rid of it cuz I never trusted it again.

Back