Hydrometer spinning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+++1

It always stops just shy of me being able to see the right markings. I can't remember ever having it stop in the right spot the first time.

I have even tried to trick it ... I put it on the island bar, spun it and then ran around to the other side ... it stopped facing the way I was originally standing :mad: ... its the curse of the hydrometer :D

Try blowing on the tube, or just over the opening of the tube. Works every time.

It is because you are starting the rotation of the hydrometer 180 deg from where you should be.

Next time, I'm going to turn the hydrometer 180* before I spin it. That should solve the problem.

Also, this is the goofiest thread ever. Accurate, but ridiculous!:D

+11111111111111111111111111111111111

It works on the same scientific principle that smoke always follows the non-smoker, and that you always find what you are looking for in the last place you are looking. ;)

One word: refractometer. Hahaha, only have one b/c my brewing buddy shattered the hydrometer while sanitizing and, yes, said hydrometer always spun the opposite way (except on opposite day of course).

Next time, I'm going to turn the hydrometer 180* before I spin it. That should solve the problem.

Also, this is the goofiest thread ever. Accurate, but ridiculous!:D

One word: refractometer. Hahaha, only have one b/c my brewing buddy shattered the hydrometer while sanitizing and, yes, said hydrometer always spun the opposite way (except on opposite day of course).

So... Why does the damn thing seem to maintain it's "I still can't see it position ",when I turn the cylinder?:)

Kind of like buttered bread always lands butter side down when dropped on the floor.

I found out the hard way that so does a pan of lasagna ... first pan I had ever constructed in my life too ... don't think I have ever dropped quite as loud of an F bomb as I did that day .. lol

Try blowing on the tube, or just over the opening of the tube. Works every time.

been trying to talk the swmbo into that for years ... ba dump dump !!! ... actually I read this earlier and I did blow on it on my post boil sample today, and you are right ... it spun slowly back towards me ... pretty cool ... thanks !!!:rockin:

No use trying to spin a refractometer. They just plink to the bottom.

Latest posts

Back