Hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor.davies

Reaction score
63539BC5-3560-4AE3-AC5C-A95800C4F267.jpeg
201EDDDE-1830-4E22-B64D-EB4867DA37D3.jpeg
Hi not really used my hydrometer before as I don’t really understand the thing! But has I produced any alcohol here? Beer tastes good

Need some more information from you. Your pictures aren't really showing the numbers on the hydromete .

The 2nd pic appears to be showing your gravity BEFORE you pitched and before fermentation - approx. 1.034.

The 1st pic looks to be your final gravity, after fermentation. Based on the pic, I'm guessing 1.014-1.015.

Am I correct in my assumptions?

If so, yes you have alcohol in there.

1.034 - 1.015 = .019 × 131.25 = 2.49% ABV

You don't have much alcohol in there but some.

hmm, i was assuming a OG of 1.090+, maybe even 1.100+...thinking the 3 on the other side was BRIX or something (not familar with it) and it was just abreviated, but yes....if it floats lower after fermenting then it did before fermenting you made alcohol! praise be the lord! i'll raise a glass in your honor, and say

Welcome!

edit: do you have a link for that particular hydro you're using? would help people make sense of it.....or at least me....

maybe, to me i took it as a low precision hydrometer....

edit damn, i just looked up 3 brix in beersmith it says 1.011....that hydrometer makes no sense to me....lol

edit: it looks like one you'd use for battery acid, not beer or wine.....

Last edited:
Back