Hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adebutler

Reaction score
Im brewing indian pale ale,
The instructions in the kit say im looking for the reading to be at 1008, but at the moment its at 1020, do i need to wait another day or so?

Thanks

Possibly.

How long has it been since you pitched the yeast?

Primary fermentation generally lasts around 5 days, but it can run shorter or longer than that depending on a number of factors.

It may just be that fermentation has not finished. I would wait three days, and then take another gravity reading. If your SG changes, let it sit a couple more days further. If your SG does not change over a 3 day period, then your fermentation is likely complete.

I put the yeast in 8 days ago, its been at a constant 20degrees c,
Ill check again in 2 days and see what we have

Thanks

I would leave the beer in promary for at least 2 weeks. Do you know what temp you are fermenting at and what your OG was? Also, what yeast are you using?

Is 20C the temperature of the wort or the temperature of the room the fermenter is in? Fermentation produces a lot of heat and the temp can be as much as 8 degrees higher inside the fermenter.

If FG is supposed to be 1.008,& it's at 1.020,you have another week or two to go. Wait till the two week mark to bother checking it again. Taking 8 days to get down to 1.020,it'll likely be a couple weeks before it's near FG.

I got a thermometer on the fermentor and its sayin 20degrees c,

Using beer yeast that came with the kit, was very active a few days into fermentation,

ill take a reading in 2 days and see what it says then,

Back