Hydrometer Reading - Your Guess?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The perpendicular view is all that's required. All else is misinformation.

1.010 to 1.011

Equally as important to having a correct eye-line: what was the temperature of the sample and what is the calibration temperature of the hydrometer?

Correct Temperature Preboil.jpg

Hydrometer Calibration Points.jpg

Last edited:
Um....what?

Cheers! (Reminds me of a scene from "The Meaning Of Life" ;))

[edit] I might be wrong, but I have the meniscus at the red line...
meniscus.jpg

If that was my hydrometer, that would be 1.008, top of the meniscus, as per the instructions that came with it.

Your hydrometer instructions may differ though.

On the side of the hydrometer it gives instructions for where to take the reading. I can make out the words "reading below meniscus" which indicates that you should be reading the hydrometer at the bottom of the meniscus surrounding the hydrometer (the flat area surrounding the hydrometer).

Thanks everyone. The winners will receive an open invitation to stop by and have a pint.

All those that participated but didn't guess correctly will have to settle for 16 oz. [emoji12][emoji106][emoji482]

Learn something new everyday. I thought you always read these things at the top. Just looked at my hydrometer and it said to read at the bottom. Huh. I guess im not quite as inefficient as i thought.

I read the bottom of the meniscus for my O.G. and the top of the meniscus for my F.G.

I also look in the mirror for an hour a day telling myself that I'm pretty and people like me.

Dude, I look just like Dwayne Johnson and my kids think I'm the coolest!

I would simply fill the container less so you can read it.

Read the hydrometer from the bottom as other have said because surface tension causes liquid to raise up on the sides and give you a lower gravity reading.

If you don't have to fill the sample jar that much I wouldn't because it's MUCH easier to read when you don't have the surface tension from the jar adding to the difficulty of making a reading.

My guess was 1.012.

??

There really were just two choices, 1.008 and 1.010.
Until the OP divulged the oem specification (ie: "How To Read This Particular Hydrometer") there would be no way to know which was correct.

My hydro, for instance, specifies reading the top of the meniscus, so the correct answer would have been 1.008.

1.012 was never, ever in the running here...

Cheers! :D

My vote is everyone wins - or loses, depending how you look at it. The key is consistency. If you calibrated using the bottom, then take your reading using the bottom. If you calibrated using the top, then take your reading from the top.

Latest posts

Back