Hydrometer Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westwoodbrew

Reaction score
Looking for some guidance regarding hydrometers. I picked up a Herculometer a few months back from Northern Brewer and noticed a change in my readings almost instantly. I chalked it up to some issue in my process, but now I am thinking it is the hydrometer. Take a look at the pics below (both in 65 F tap water). The top pic is the Herculometer from NB and the bottom is a cheap glass hydrometer. Am I doing something wrong? How should I adjust the readings I took for my previous batches currently fermenting or kegged? Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Low.JPG
High.JPG

Try it in distilled or RO water.

NB also has a year warranty on the items they sell, I think hydrometer should be included. You could call them and ask why it’s reading that low below 1.000 in water. But make sure to measure baseline in distilled or RO water.

This is a $10 item, correct? I would expect error to be present even though they are "calibrated" at production. Did NB or the hydrometer come with any information about error or calibration?

Thanks for the responses. The paperwork or packaging is log gone. I will drop it in some distilled water and see what it reads. Thanks

I worked in a lab where we recycled alcohol via distillation. We had a hairline crack in the bottom of our hydrometer that led to similar problems. I would examine it closely, especially at the bottom where the weight/shot is located.

I worked in a lab where we recycled alcohol via distillation. We had a hairline crack in the bottom of our hydrometer that led to similar problems. I would examine it closely, especially at the bottom where the weight/shot is located.

I work at a place where we dispose of alcahol via consumption. We don’t use hydrometers, we just empty the large holding vessels every night. :tank::bott:

Back