Hydrometer floats too high in the sample

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpipes68

Reaction score
This is the first time I have tried to use my hydrometer. I put it in and spun it and it popped up floated too high in the sample to get a reading. Any suggestions?

What is the sample of? Did you follow a recipe? Also what is the range of the hydrometer? Could you upload a picture?

What is the sample of? Did you follow a recipe? Also what is the range of the hydrometer? Could you upload a picture?
HopNog 2018 American IPA-Brewers Best-Extract. Followed instructions, although I transferred wort from the brewing kettle to the carboy without cooling by accident but did get it down to 75 degrees in the carboy and then pitched the yeast. Hydrometer reads 0 when tested in water. Will send pic of hydro. Thank you for your help.

Here are pics.
20190424_184153.jpeg
20190424_183333.jpeg
20190424_183517~2.jpeg

I think that one is for proof, not gravity. If you add vodka does it sink lower?

Does that Hydrometer have any other scales other than "Proof". I don't know what that scale means. It is odd that the numbers get further apart. A standard beer hydrometer has scales for Specific Gravity and/or Plato (Potential Alcohol seems common as well but I ignore that).

So the Hydrometer does not sink down into the wort so the 0 reading is below the surface? If you still have the sample, maybe post a pic of the Hydrometer in the wort.

Edit: From what I can find, this type of hydrometer does sink lower with a higher alcohol so it would not be useful for reading beer gravity:

A proof and tralle hydrometer is used for testing the alcohol content of distilled spirits. Scales: Proof: 0-200 Tralle: 0-100 This proof & tralle scale determines the direct percentage of alcohol in liquids with a specific gravity less than zero. Just put a sample of unsweetened liquid containing alcohol in a test jar and float the hydrometer in the liquid. The hydrometer is fragile so stay mindful not to drop it or bounce it off the bottom or sides. Next, gently spin the hydrometer to release any bubbles that are sticking to it. Fix yourself at eye level to read the number off the scale where the hydrometer emerges from the liquid. Be sure to read across the two bottom corners of the frown and not at the meniscus.

Does that Hydrometer have any other scales other than "Proof". I don't know what that scale means. It is odd that the numbers get further apart. A standard beer hydrometer has scales for Specific Gravity and/or Plato (Potential Alcohol seems common as well but I ignore that).

So the Hydrometer does not sink down into the wort so the 0 reading is below the surface? If you still have the sample, maybe post a pic of the Hydrometer in the wort.
I dont think I have the right hydrometer. I assumed was the right one because it was in the brewing section. It has "TRALLE" and "PROOF" readings.

Latest posts

Back