hydrogen sulfide removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frige

Reaction score
First off all the chemistry stuff gives me a headache, so the more I read it seems the more confused I get.

On and off my well water gets a funny smell, not really like rotten eggs more like onions. I have a sediment filter at the well and at the brewery I have a charcoal filter that goes down to .50 microns, then a commercial filter that goes down to .05 microns. I cant smell anything out of the brew water but it still worries me. What is a good method to remove hydrogen sulfide?
I have read about aeration and chemical treatments with special filters etc. I dont think I can afford to build a water treatment plant. What would you recommend?

Now thats something I need to find out. I picked up a cheap water test at home depot and everything showed within limits. Is there a better test kit out there, or do I need to send a sample out.

The reason for asking is that both sulfide and iron are removed by oxidation and whether you have one or the other or both will determine what kind of equipment is needed. Perhaps the best first step would be to call in the people that service your well. They should know what the characteristics of well water in your area are and should, from experience, be able to suggest a solution.

I have an iron laden well with sulfur. I buy RO water from the Culligan machine at the supermarket for $.37/gallon. Cheaper and easier than dealing with an RO system for my brewing needs.

I have an inactive sulfur filter that caused me more headaches than it solved.

I will call the well guys tomorrow. A couple of neighbors have a aeration tank but I am not sure if it completely solves the problem. I dont mind buying the water for brewing although its a pain in the tail. I would still have the problem of smelly shower water plus I hate to drink it.

I found this thread looking thru my watched threads list and wanted to share something. I have eliminated the sulfur odor in my well very simply and fairly cheaply for the last 1.5 years. I bought an empty "big blue" 4.5x20" filter housing, a refillable cartridge, and 10lbs of KDF85 filter media. Immediately eliminated the odor and it hasn't come back.

I don't know the effect of the zinc and copper have on the drinkability of the water as I still buy RO water to cook and brew with.

Copper is poisonous (though you do need a bit) to the point that FDA prohibits the use of it for food preparation when the pH is less than 6 but your water's pH is doubtless greater than 6 and KDF is widely used for potable water. In removing sulfur the copper becomes converted to copper sulfide which is insoluble so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I have eliminated the hydrogen sulfide odor from my well water by filling a 5 gallon plastic jug with it and aerating it, then letting it sit with the cap off for 24 hours. But my water is so alkaline that using it at greater than 20-25% is not possible, so I have abandoned it in favor of RO water. That said, the beers I made with it at 20-25% (mixed with RO) came out just fine.

Latest posts

Back