Hydrogen sulfide problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helgibelgi

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to figure out a problem with one beer. It is a wheat beer and is fermented with K-97. The problem is a taste and smell of a struck-match or sulfur (if you've ever smelled a hot spring you know the smell). It can also be described as an egg-like smell or even egg-fart (but not that extreme).

It was fermented at 20°C/68°F for 2 weeks. Should I let it sit longer or maybe rack to secondary? Purge with CO2 (blow through a stone into the beer)?

How do I get rid of this off flavor/smell? If not for this batch, for future batches. Any help greatly apprecited!

I got this when I made a wine I just stirred it with a piece of copper and the smell went away.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I've read about that method, but I've also read that copper is not good for the beer after the fermentation stage, at least not too much copper. I may just try this anyway!

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to figure out a problem with one beer. It is a wheat beer and is fermented with K-97. The problem is a taste and smell of a struck-match or sulfur (if you've ever smelled a hot spring you know the smell). It can also be described as an egg-like smell or even egg-fart (but not that extreme).

It was fermented at 20°C/68°F for 2 weeks. Should I let it sit longer or maybe rack to secondary? Purge with CO2 (blow through a stone into the beer)?

How do I get rid of this off flavor/smell? If not for this batch, for future batches. Any help greatly apprecited!

What was your FG like? I know a lot of wheat strains produce sulfur-like smells while they are still fermenting, if the beer didn't finish fermentation it could produce those smells.

Back