Hydrated dry yeast pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtchyLives

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been brewing for quite awhile, many times with dry yeast. I've started following the instructions from the manufacturer for hydrating and always had good yeast action. Today I had a first.

I mixed up a 2-pack hydrated batch of S-04 and followed the instructions. 15 minute soak, then stir for 30 minutes. After that I let it sit for about 20 minutes while I oxygenated the wort.i came back to a very nice foam krausen on top of the hydrated yeast sample. Never had that before. I pitched it all.

Is that normal? Should I have just "top cropped" the foam? Or just pitched the whole thing (what I did)?

I think it was supposed to happen that way. Just never had it happen with S-05 (my go-to dry yeast).

Pitch it all... Once I did it using a cup of wort and after 30 minutes it had a foam head like shaken starsan! Activity in 8 hours from that pitch.

You should be good.

Pitch it all... Once I did it using a cup of wort and after 30 minutes it had a foam head like shaken starsan! Activity in 8 hours from that pitch.

You should be good.
Starsan head... Yeah. 1.5 inches of krausen-looking yeast foam. Definitely never got that with S-05.

In further news, I pitched Monday morning. By Wednesday night the krausen had dropped and the beer had started to clear. By tonight the wort is almost completely clear and I'm still at fermentation temps.

I'm not in any rush but this yeast is faster than Nottingham. Will have to remember this and start my temperature ramp up sooner than I normally do.

Back