Hybrid WLP001 and 002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDCraftBeer

Reaction score
So with it being in the high 90's in San Diego lately I didn't want to risk buying the WLP200 Best of Both Worlds from MoreBeer and having it ruined in transit. So yesterday I bought two vials..one of 001 and one of 002 and made two starters with a 50/50 blend of the two strains in each starter.

I am just curious if anyone else out there has tried blending these two strains together? If so, what temp did you find worked best for fermentation? I am planning on 65 since I usually do 65 for 001 anyways.

Cheers!:mug:

Just came to say hello from another SD Homebrewer cheers!!

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

I am not experienced in this but I have heard about it. I believe the ideA is to get an English yeast profile but get the higher attenuation you would get with wlp001. Sounds like a winning combo to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just came to say hello from another SD Homebrewer cheers!!

Hey! Do you ever go to any of the SD Homebrewing events? I have been brewing here for a few years now and haven't really got involved in any groups. Joined the AHA recently and wow does SD give great discounts to members.

Cheers!

I believe the ideA is to get an English yeast profile but get the higher attenuation you would get with wlp001. Sounds like a winning combo to me.

I'm not sure about WLP200 because I have not used it since it is strictly a MoreBeer! product, but WLP007 is exactly what you're talking about here: an English yeast when it comes to ester profile and flocculation characteristics, but attenuates at least 80%. This best of both worlds yeast strain honestly seems like a bunch of marketing garbage. I'd really be interested not in the comparison of WLP200 with WLP001 and WLP002, because that's apple and oranges, and I think was done by White Labs and the MoreBeer! marketing team here. However, it would be interesting to see the difference between WLP200 and WLP007, if anyone has done that experiment.

To answer the fermentation temp question, I think 65 is a good choice. I use 002 in most of my American styles and I usually pitch at 62 and ferment around 65, then raise to finish. This keeps the esters from getting too English on ya.

To answer the fermentation temp question, I think 65 is a good choice. I use 002 in most of my American styles and I usually pitch at 62 and ferment around 65, then raise to finish. This keeps the esters from getting too English on ya.

Thanks for your input! Brew day went pretty well last weekend.

The starter looked significantly more 002 than 001, with the cottage cheese look when I pitched. I pitched at 63 and by the morning it was at 65 which is when fermentation took off. Looked this morning and it looks to have slowed. I am going to start raising a degree starting tomorrow and will check the hydro reading after 10 days. Pretty excited to see how this one turns out. I want the English yeast characteristics but on a smaller scale.

We brewed a traditional West Coast IPA with the only change being the addition of 50% 002, so we are hoping to get a bit of the English yeast to help add to the flavor profile of the finished beer.

When mine starts slowing, I usually kick it up to 68-72 and just ride it out. 002 is a quick fermenter so I doubt you'll need to go another 10 days. It'll also probably be a pretty clear beer thanks to the high flocculation.

For anyone out there that is interested in this thread, I figured I would add an update.

So we have brewed two separate beers with the hybrid 001/002.

We were just able to sample the first one over the weekend. It was an IPA (6.8%) using Summit/Ahtahum/Cascade for the hops and 2 Row/Munich/Marris and a very small amount of Crystal 10.

The FG got all the way down to 1.010 which showed the 001 part of the yeast profile (83% apparent attenuation). The beer itself had a wonderful English yeast profile to the taste, but no over powering at all. The hops were still able to shine and so was the malt. It was also a very clear beer that showed proof of 002 being in there.

We did a combo 090/002 for the brew day on Saturday. I am very excited to see how this one turns out since they ferment at the same temp and are both known to finish quickly.

Back