HWH/Late hop IPA, No hop flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Want2Brew

Master of None
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I thought I would try FWH and Late hops in one batch. It was supposed to be an IPA It has just enough bitterness to to balance out the malt but no hop flavor what so ever. Here is the recipe:

10.5# 2 row
1# Caramel 60

2 oz Cascade 5.4 aa FWH
.75 oz Cascade 5.4 aa 20 min
.25 oz german perle 8 aa 20 min
.25 oz german magnum 10.4 aa 20 min
.75 Cascade 5.4 aa at 10 min
1.5 oz Cascade 5.4 aa at 1 min
US-05 yeast

one month in primary and one week in keg

Looking at the recipe I guess I needed more hops at 20 min? What do you guys think? I thought about dry hoping in the keg but Im not sure that will give me as much flavor as it will aroma. What do you guys think about maybe making a hop tea with an oz or 2 of centennials and adding to the keg? Will this give it the hop flavor that Im looking for? Thanks in advance for any thoughts and input you may have.

Speaking toward the late hopping, I think you need to up your amounts by quite a bit. Maybe five times the hbu, .25 oz in a late addition on a hop forward beer is not going to be noticable.

Google "jamil evil twin" for an excellent example.

Aren't 20 min additions supposed to ADD flavor and less bitterness?? If I were going for a bitter, but low hop flavor IPA, I'd do all my additions really early in the boil.

Well I was looking for it to be bitter (and it is some what) but I wanted lots of hop flavor as well, that I didn't get. It was and experiment and maybe I shouldn't have tried the 2 techniques together. I will check out the evil twin, thanks.

For lots of hops flavor and aroma, I like to add the hops at 15 minutes or less, usually at 10, 5, and flameout.

Hops added at 20 minutes generally are flavor hops, which means you get the flavor notes but not the "hoppiness" that it sounds like you're looking for. Here's one of my "hoppy" (but not very bitter) beers:

1.00 oz Cascade (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
0.50 oz Cascade (30 min)
0.50 oz Cascade (15 min)
1.00 oz Cascade (10 min)
0.50 oz Cascade (5 min) Hops
0.50 oz Cascade (0 min)
1.00 oz Cascade (Dry Hop 7 days)

That's one of my favorite schedules. I don't usually use 30 minute hops, but I wanted a bit more bitterness so I added 1/2 ounce at 30 minutes. The key is lots of hops late- I have 2.5 ounces at 15 minutes or less, and an ounce for dryhopping. Even without the dryhop, though, this hop schedule delivers a nice hops flavor.

For a non-dryhopped pale ale, I love this hop schedule, too:
1.00 oz Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) Hops 34.7 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (10 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (0 min) Hops

Four ounces of hops at 10 minutes or less gives it a great hoppy flavor and aroma. I used the magnum for bittering, because I have a whole pound of it.

Sounds good Yooper, how do you think that second one would be with some amarillo thrown in there at the end as well? Thanks for the help :mug:

Sounds good Yooper, how do you think that second one would be with some amarillo thrown in there at the end as well? Thanks for the help :mug:

I love amarillo! I probably wouldn't use all three varieties at the end together- I'd be afraid it would "muddy" the flavor. I'd use the amarillo instead of the centennial, probably. I've never used amarillo with cascade, but I'd be willing to bet it would be good!

OK, Thank you all for the help. I think I will take this recipe back to the drawing board and see what I come up with. Any one have any insight on how to fix this last batch, will a hop tea help give it some flavor?

Back