HVAC advice for a fermentation chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I "rescued" an unused replacement compressor and heat exchanger for a refridgerator from my MIL's condo. I'd like to adapt this and use it with my currently ice powered fermentation chiller. This is a replacement unit so it does not have any of the cooling coils (or any coolant). I'm hoping to find some kind of cooling coils, either making my own from some copper tubing, or scavenging the parts from a dead fridge.

Is this at all feasible? I can easily solder on some coils. A coil of small dia. copper tubing would be the easiest to do and I could easily bend it to a configuration to fit in my box. Any recommendations as to dia. and length? Or would I be better off scavanging something?

Is the coolant charging something a handy type person can do themselves, or would I need to call in a professional?

Yeah it could be done but it is going to be alot of work.

I think the biggest problem you are going to run into is figuring out how big of an oriface (just before the evaporator) you need and how you're going to get it in there. I dont know if you need high and low pressure side switches to control the compressor. To recharge the system you need to install the service ports if they are not already on the compressor. You will also need a charging manifold and a vacuum pump to evacuate the systems of air.

Honestly it would be MUCH cheaper to buy a new dorm fridge and cut all the guts out of it. Craigslist is better if you can find em.

Latest posts

Back