Huyghe Delirium Red recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaronj91

Reaction score
I've been looking around, seeing some Delirium Tremens recipes, but not one Delirium Red (cherry) recipe. I know this isn't a fan favorite for some but I really want to try to recreate it. Does anyone have any ideas for this? It'd be very appreciated. thanks!

Good evening my friend,

First of all, I'm not sure if it's ok rise this topic, in advance I'm sorry. But, as you, I've been wondering throughout the internet, searching endlessly, trying to figure it out how best get closer to this nectar. You see, I come from the depths of brazilian home/craft brewing, and here, being a really hot country, people tend to enjoy fruit beers very much. So, I was hoping to really narrow my recipe.
My last try, I found some lost recipe in the web, expressing the main ingredients, such as malt, hops and yeasts (there's even one kind of malt that it's impossible to get here, or extremely expensive.
The recipe follows.

7lb Belgian Pilsner;
0.5lb Belgian Aromatic;
0.5lb Belgian Munich;
0.5lb Belgian Biscuit;
3.5lb Cane sugar;
1lb Cherry;
0.25lb German acidulated malt;

Hops:

0.5oz Styrian Goldings (60min)
0.5oz Saaz (15min)
0.5oz Styrian Goldings (15min)
0.5oz Saaz (15min)

0.5 Coriander seeds (10 min)
0.2 Cardamom pods (10 min) [Couldn't find pods, used seeds]

White Labs - Belgian Golden Ale Yeast WLP570

Poured the cherries during maturation.

Fact is it didn't get the color red, the tasty of cherry was barely noticeable and you could only flavour cardamom after a few days.

Hope I could restart this topic and we get this discussion going on.

Kind regards!
-Gus

Welcome to HBT!

Good evening my friend,

First of all, I'm not sure if it's ok rise this topic [...]
Yes, of course it's OK.
Just realize that the original post was made over 4 years ago, and the poster's last visit was over 3 years ago.
Nothing wrong with that either, just don't count on his reply. But others may chime in, instead to develop or improve the recipe.

Now... I'm really curious, what's that kind of "expensive" malt you're mentioning here:
My last try, I found some lost recipe in the web, expressing the main ingredients, such as malt, hops and yeasts (there's even one kind of malt that it's impossible to get here, or extremely expensive.

Since you're not in the U.S. it would be helpful to add your general location in your member profile.
Country would suffice. City or Region is optional, but may be informative to others from your region.

Welcome Gus! I see you mentioned you are in Brazil. I am also quite curious as to which malt is quite expensive? If it is the acidulated you could skip it and add some lactic acid to your mash to get the same effect (Lowered mash ph)

Welcome to HBT!

Now... I'm really curious, what's that kind of "expensive" malt you're mentioning here:

Well, being aware that the topic is an old one, I'm hopeful that it'll live again and we'll find a way to brew this bad one :D.
So, starting from the top, just let me say we don't find any of those malts here, we tend to use equivalents. Brazil just got one of it firsts malting plants, and I'm luck enough cause' it's not far from where I live (400km give or take {248 miles}). The barley we use it's planted here in Brazil and undergoes the process of malting, I'm pretty sure that alone tend to give another tasty because the specific conditions of soil and weather. But I'm losing myself here. Pilsner and aromatic were pretty easy to find equivalents, the munich and the biscuit on the other hand, were not so simple. I ended up using the biscuit we find local, but could't get the munich one.
For the expensive part, what I mean is that for any kind of specific ingredient we have to import, so we end up paying in dollars or euros, for instance, our coin is Real, which right now it's very undervaluated (i.e. US$1 = R$5,46), plus any importing or transporting fees. And yes, I couldn't find acidulated malt either, and didn't even knew what to use on it's place.
It sat fermeting for 7 days at 20°C, and more 7 days for maturation. On the 2nd to the 3rd day of maturation I put the cherry in natura, merely smashed, for flavour and color.

As I mentioned, you can just use a bit of lactic acid to lower the ph in place of the acidulated malt. What styles of malt can you get? If you let us know we could recommend the best approximation to munich. Basically you are looking for a malt with bready taste and around 10l for color.

Brazil just got one of it firsts malting plants, and I'm luck enough cause' it's not far from where I live (400km give or take {248 miles}).
Wow, that's something, calling yourself lucky to drive 5-7 hours (each way) to buy malt!
Are you buying by the sack?

Check with local breweries, they may be able to sell you malts too.

Most maltsters make what their clients request. Craft breweries perhaps?
These would likely be on their list:
Pilsner malt
Ale malt
Vienna malt 2.5-4.5°L - Can be used at 100%
Munich malt 4.5-12°L - Only the lower Lovibonds can be used at 100%
Biscuit malt 18-30°L
A variety of Cara or Crystal malts say 10-120°L
Variety of Dark Roasted malts
Roasted Barley (not malted)

If you can source (feed) barley you can even malt your own. Roast/toast in a temp controlled oven.
Crystal malt is fairly easy to make. Consistency is much harder, though.

For the expensive part, what I mean is that for any kind of specific ingredient we have to import, so we end up paying in dollars or euros, for instance, our coin is Real, which right now it's very undervaluated (i.e. US$1 = R$5,46), plus any importing or transporting fees. And yes, I couldn't find acidulated malt either, and didn't even knew what to use on it's place.
Ouch! Imagine that!
It's often easy to forget how lucky we are here in the U.S. (and parts of Europe too).

You really don't need acidulated malt, you're not brewing under the Reinheitsgebot. ;)
As suggested already, instead you can use Lactic acid, Phosphoric acid, or, used in smaller quantities, citric acid.

If your brewing water is soft you may not need any acid.

As I mentioned, you can just use a bit of lactic acid to lower the ph in place of the acidulated malt. What styles of malt can you get? If you let us know we could recommend the best approximation to munich. Basically you are looking for a malt with bready taste and around 10l for color.
Elric, I was looking the website of the malt seller, and it appears they are now importing some malt styles from abroad, I even downloaded their catalog and I've found the acidulated malt. For the time being, they seem to be working with malts from Germany, UK and Belgium aside from the ones made here in Brazil. Could you just explain-me what "10l for color" means? I'm not familiar with that.

Wow, that's something, calling yourself lucky to drive 5-7 hours (each way) to buy malt!
Are you buying by the sack?
I said it's "close" cause' here in Brazil everthing it's pretty far from where you live, we don't have any kind of railroads, except for cargo, we stick with bad highways. But there's a Crafting Beer Store in a town 30 minuts from me, and they buy by the sack from the factory (it's called Agraria Malte), and even mill it, so we just buy everything from them. Just for example, they first store where you can buy supplies for home brewing just opened up this year at the city where I live. But it's still pretty hard to find a place where you can buy equipment, we tend to use our version of eBuy, and stuff manily comes from other states like São Paulo.

Elric, I was looking the website of the malt seller, and it appears they are now importing some malt styles from abroad, I even downloaded their catalog and I've found the acidulated malt. For the time being, they seem to be working with malts from Germany, UK and Belgium aside from the ones made here in Brazil. Could you just explain-me what "10l for color" means? I'm not familiar with that.
The L stands for lovibond, the measurement of how much color the malt will contribute. Munich is a classic german style of malt, are they carrying it now by chance?

Back