Hungarian Homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeard

Reaction score
Hi all,

Me and the SWMBO are going to Budapest in a month, and naturally I'm thinking of what sort of Hungarian-esque homebrews I can make to commemorate the trip.

I've been told Hungary isn't particularly known for beer, but that they are well known for their wine. Irrespective, I am interested in making SOME sort of Hungarian homebrew concoction, so does anyone know of any recipes?

Thanks!

You might consider this a stretch, but I would do either a Bohemian Pilsner or a Vienna Lager. We consider these styles to have originated in countries of other names, however historically they were part of the Austria-Hungarian empire.

When Adolphus Bush went to europe in search of a beer idea for his brewery,he wound up in Budvar (or was it Budwise?). he liked the beer,& brought his version to us. Budvar/Budwise is still sold over there & was originally Hungarian according to accounts I've seen. That's about all I can think of. My FIL was Hungarian,& didn't mention one that stood out to him. But boy,was that beef-based Hungarian sausage good fresh & pit bbq'd!

Probably can't do this in time to enjoy before the trip, but when I have been looking a mead recipes some have talked about Hungarian Oak. Supposed to be a little lighter than French Oak. Could do something with that if you want something with just a hint of oakiness

I kept thinking that Hungarian oak was lighter than our oak? I know French oak medium toasted is lighter than our white oak. worked well soaked in Beam's Black for my Whiskely Ale.

Latest posts

Back