Hugh Baird Crystal 135/165?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to pick up 10 pounds of this from More Beer. That's on faith because I like what I've had otherwise. I also generally prefer British crystals and/or caramels to US made; find them more rounded, more malty, not as much purely, sharply sweet. Just my sense.

I will tend to use a crystal in the 120-130 range as an accent (2% or so) in bitters, more in stouts, porters, and big versions of the same. Anyone use this particular one? Any input?

My only input is that I am looking for a malt referred to in "Modern Homebrew Recipes" called Baird UK Crystal 135 and am wondering if this is the same malt. I'm wondering if it's a typo in the book.

My only input is that I am looking for a malt referred to in "Modern Homebrew Recipes" called Baird UK Crystal 135 and am wondering if this is the same malt. I'm wondering if it's a typo in the book.

It's the same, I'm almost certain. So far, I love it. Though I haven't used it in high percentages in any recipe - more as a secondary crystal to C77 and other malts. Just crunching on it, I love the taste.

135-165 is the Lovibond of that Crystal, so very dark. I would think it is comparable with Crisp Crystal 160L, which is their very dark Crystal or similar. I haven't used Bairds, but I've used Crisp 120 and 160L Crystal malts a few times for bitters, porters and stouts, and they are very good. So, I think you cannot go wrong with it. I would however think, that a Crystal malt in the 150-160L will probably impart a bit of roastiness/astringency notes in the background... but again, have nothing to base this one on, except the times I've used Crisp 160L and does indeed add a very subtle, yet pleasent dry/" roast " like flavour in beer. But works well in bitters and darker styles. Porbably even in Red ales.

Next on my brewing schedule are some malts from Simpsons, including their DRC ( on paper, sounds like Special B, which is really not a bad thing ).

Yeah, it's a bit odd imo to name it as such a wide range, but maybe that's just being honest? I really don't know. I'm just giving it a figure of 150 SRM and formulating it accordingly. I get roastiness, too, but more often, I get that kind of really dark baked fruit, raisins or plums, which I like in a lot of things, particularly strong dark ales (for some reason, I get that with Northdown hops, or have, anyway - might have been because the two are always in the same batch, lol!).

I brewed with DRC for the first time with my last batch, what ended up being a strong porter. Along with brown malt, I have to say, sold. I loved it on raw tasting and loved its contribution here. I have 5-6 friends who got growlers full and they were very complimentary of this beer, and though it was Run 1 on my system, and so there are obvious kinks to work out, it was delicious in my book as well. Curious what your take on the DRC is!

Back