huge pressing event (lots of pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The brew club hosted it's annual cider pressing. This year we made 500 gallons from about 4 tons of apples. It was a great day and the starting gravity was about 1.060 for our ciders.

IMG_4969.jpg

IMG_4971.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

IMG_4975.jpg

IMG_4976.jpg

IMG_4978.jpg

IMG_4979.jpg

IMG_4980.jpg

IMG_4983.jpg

IMG_4985.jpg

You could do an article on just the many different kinds of scratters that were used! With that much cider being made your group might want to buy one of the euro style apple grinders, they range from 1000-2000 dollars, it would take away the need to chop up the apples first, you would only need to pay attention saftey wise to one machine, the pomace would be uniform for the whole pressing so you would have a big variation in yield. Looks like you folks have a great time. Any idea what kind of apples were used, was it a mix or just all one kind? WVMJ

Wow, and I thought we were busy Sunday when we pressed 25gal. of cider and 3gal. of grape must. Perhaps I need to talk to you guys more at BrewStock next summer, I hang out with friends in Sumner quite a bit.

IMG_2997.jpg

You could do an article on just the many different kinds of scratters that were used! With that much cider being made your group might want to buy one of the euro style apple grinders, they range from 1000-2000 dollars, it would take away the need to chop up the apples first, you would only need to pay attention saftey wise to one machine, the pomace would be uniform for the whole pressing so you would have a big variation in yield. Looks like you folks have a great time. Any idea what kind of apples were used, was it a mix or just all one kind? WVMJ

It was a grest time. We used Gala this year. There was a mix of equipment in operation. One guy had a grinder that would take whole apples. One individual had a garbage disposal converted into a grinder. It was cool to see how everything was put together.

Also that disposal that was turned into a grinder made a pummace that was close to a puree so the extraction on it was super good. If anyone wants directions I can ask my friend in the club for them

Back