HSA Instead of carrying cheap BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skokott

Reaction score
My Brew Kettle handles are spot welded. Usually I'm chilling about 5.5 gallons.

I carry the hot and full kettle downstairs by the handles and scalding wort usually spills all over the place, but whatever.

I've been told by my LHBS I should never carry a spot welded BK when full as the handles will likely break.

So I thought of pouring the wort from BK to my emptied/sanitized mash tun. I can syphon with a hose but that will take 20 mins or more I'm thinking so I'm planning to just pour it straight in.

This will result in HSA but from all the reading I've been done HSA is undetectable in home brewing batches.

What are your thoughts? I usually miss obvious stuff

Is your mash tun a plastic cooler? If so and you pour near boiling wort into it you will likely destroy it!

You could do a no chill, just let it cool on it's own. I would find a way to cool in place.

Personally I would not carry more than my 2.5 gallon extracts, which probably boiled down to 2 gallons or less, farther than the 4 feet from my stove to the sink. I certainly would not try carrying 5+ gallons of near boiling wort at all.

Pouring (to a small extent, siphoning for that matter) is not much less dangerous than carrying it. For a short time I carried my BK about 15 feet to where I could run my plate chiller... really was very lucky to not have had an incident. There's a recent thread on here about a guy who ran his arm into the BK for just a moment, and the pix look like his arm is about melted off... that's not just water, there's proteins and such in there that will stick to you like oil. HSA would be the least of your worries.

I agree with kh54s10, if you absolutely can't chill it in place, go no-chill.

No homebrew is worth a trip to the ER my friend.

My question is, why the heck does it take you 20 min to siphon 5 gal of wort from one vessel to another?

But, bigger picture, I would avoid carrying hot wort anywhere at all costs. Either figure out how to brew closer to where you chill, or figure out how to chill where you brew, then move the chilled wort.

It never ceases to amaze me when I see the number of homebrewers who are willing to risk a trip to the emergency room instead of spending $100 or so on a pump.

I have a immersion chiller and willing to spring for a pump but it's useless to me because none of my faucets in my apartment can attach to it

Also I don't have a tub or a big sink.

Only thing I can think of is a ton of pre-boiled ice cubes, but then I'm adding volume to my wort

Wondering if I can somehow unscrew my sink faucet in my kitchen and use an adapter to the standard garden hose wort chiller.

None of those adapters would work because the end of my faucet is one of those curvy spray nozzles with no threads or attach point (because of its curvature).

The solution I ended going with is right where the water lines come in are 1/2" pvc tubes. One for hot and one for cold.

I plan to cut an inch out of that pvc tube and place a tee junction there one line of which will go to a garden hose spigot.

See attach

sink1.jpg

sink2.jpg

Back