HR 5843 Personal Use Marijuana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it's not the greatest way of looking at it - it's true. If you are allotted an amount of money to spend, and you do not spend it, it is much harder to prove that next year you need MORE than you planned for last year, because you spent less. Budgeting is not a singular yearly thing where you put a number in and that's what you get. Upper management does growth and expense trending. You can't just make up a number, hope to justify it, and get it. Often, you put a number in that exactly meets your needs, and they question your needs and cut your budget, assuming you can cut spending. Which is one reason why you often ask for more than you want knowing your request will get cut.

jezter6 said:
While it's not the greatest way of looking at it - it's true. If you are allotted an amount of money to spend, and you do not spend it, it is much harder to prove that next year you need MORE than you planned for last year, because you spent less.
What's not the greatest is setting up a budgeting process that encourages irresponsible spending in the name of 'protecting yoru budget'.

That's just it: you're not using last year's numbers to 'justify' this year's budget. If you start budget planning with the projections of what your department is supposed to produce and budget to those projections, last year's nubmers don't figure into it.

As for 'why is do you still have budget left' and intelligent business lets the reason of 'because we found a way to make this process more efficent' stand, and even start handing out kudos (or actual reward) to those who found a way to execute the savings in order to encourage that kind of behavior. The last 3 places I have worked operated in this fashion-- last year's budget was not a good reason to confirm or deny budget line items. What matters is covering projected expenses, meeting goals and coming in under budget in both labor and materials.

When a budgeting process is set up that makes people think in terms of draining the budget to 'protect' next year, the organization is not being encouraged to be a good custodian of the company's money.

As I said-- this subject is HUGE and could use several threads to dissect the various ways that budgeting process can (and does) work (or not work).

kornkob

While what you are saying can and does work. Its not the way large corperations work. Bottom line is they dont care about your needs or future needs. If they can justify to themselves that you need less money in any way possible then they will slash and burn till you are out of a job. Saving money does not go rewarded, therefor there is no incentive.

I truly get what you are saying. It just doesnt work that way

MikeFlynn74 said:
kornkob

While what you are saying can and does work. Its not the way large corperations work. Bottom line is they dont care about your needs or future needs. If they can justify to themselves that you need less money in any way possible then they will slash and burn till you are out of a job. Saving money does not go rewarded, therefor there is no incentive.

I truly get what you are saying. It just doesnt work that way
And I am telling you that this runs counter to my experience at my last 3 jobs in 3 different industries.

Insurance
Manufacturing
Game Development

In fact, at the manufacturing company it was something specifically asked about at the yearly review: what did you do this year to reduce spending and how much did you save?

And I am telling you that this runs counter to my experience at my last 3 jobs in 3 different industries.

Insurance
Manufacturing
Game Development

In fact, at the manufacturing company it was something specifically asked about at the yearly review: what did you do this year to reduce spending and how much did you save?

None of those jobs are an operational existence or a service driven commodity. All of them are a bottom line only. They specialize in giving the very minimum for the most $.

Its not the model for all buisness. But Im your jobs werent in the corperate aspect of it either.
This is getting out there too.

Say you run 5 divisions of a company. Each has a budget of 5 mil. Each really needs 3mil to run but unforseen expenses can and often do arise. Now lets say after they did the right thing and saved as much as possible. Say one branch could only justify 2 mil. So they are bugeted 2 mil for the next year. What about next year when they actually need 5 mil? Its easy to slash budgets. But getting more money that hasnt been bugeted is harder than getting Christ to come to your next luncheon.

Shipping
Telecommunications
Banking & Finance
Travel

For me, and I gotta backup KornKob. And I gotta add that if this:

"they dont care about your needs or future needs. If they can justify to themselves that you need less money in any way possible then they will slash and burn till you are out of a job."

Is representative of your company, you need to find a new job, FAST.

As for Jezter6, you must work for a govt or quasi-govt entity. I've never seen a for profit enterprise that used regressive budgeting.

Edit: I've been responsible for submitting a departmental budget in all but the first.

MikeFlynn74 said:
None of those jobs are an operational existence or a service driven commodity. All of them are a bottom line only. They specialize in giving the very minimum for the most $.

Its not the model for all buisness. But Im your jobs werent in the corperate aspect of it either.
Define 'an operational existence'? They are all large companies.

I was at corporate headquarters for the first 2.

Like I said-- this is a big issue that is way off the thread's topic.

I conceed that not all business' budgets are handled the same.

"they dont care about your needs or future needs. If they can justify to themselves that you need less money in any way possible then they will slash and burn till you are out of a job

Its not that they dont care- Its that accountants do the budgets. Once money is budgeted then profits are forcasted. Once profits are forcasted and then someone needs to dip into them, people get fired.

Just the way it works.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Its not that they dont care- Its that accountants do the budgets. Once money is budgeted then profits are forcasted. Once profits are forcasted and then someone needs to dip into them, people get fired. Just the way it works.

Dude, you need to quit typing and start job hunting. You work at a very f'ed up place...

For any self-sustaining business, budgets are done as an iterative/collaborative process between revenue centers and cost centers. Expenditures both drive revenues and are constrained by revenues.

Alrighty - back on track. This is an issue near and dear to me, my friends. If this were to go through - there is no way that it would be free-market (at least in a real sense,) quality would suffer and we would be left with brands that would, in trying to be all things to all smokers, be a mediocre product. With an exception for the overpriced super-premium brand. But, being rather DIY - decriminalization would open the path for splitting the garage into homebrew/homegrown. A path I would much rather go down anyway...

Dude, you need to quit typing and start job hunting. You work at a very f'ed up place...

I work for the largest employer in the world. Dept of Defense.

Yes its seriously ****ed up. But if you dont think for a second thats how multibillion dollar buisnesses are run, your wrong.

for one thing- You cant have tax writeoffs without expenditures.

MikeFlynn74 said:

Yes its seriously ****ed up. But if you dont think for a second thats how multibillion dollar buisnesses are run, your wrong.

I work for a multi billion dollar business myself. Obviously your company works differently than the one I work for. A DoD business is bound to use similar budgeting strategy as the government.

That being said it's not the same thing as saying 'all businesses use the same budgeting strategy' which is what you are implying.

MikeFlynn74 said:

Mike, you work for an employer that generates zero revenue, zero profits, and is beholden entirely to an outside entity for it's funding. And to make matters worse, that controlling entity generates zero revenue, zero profits, and is 100% controlled by politics.

That operates NOTHING at all like a self sufficient business entity. The whole game changes when you have to generate enough income to support yourself.

MikeFlynn74 said:
if you dont think for a second thats how multibillion dollar buisnesses are run, your wrong.

I hate to tell you, but there is not a private company on the planet that operates like the DoD.

MikeFlynn74 said:

HUH?

pldoolittle said:
Mike, you work for an employer that generates zero revenue, zero profits...
I'd argue pretty heavily that isn't the case, not in the classic Wall street sense. It's a significant piece of a money generating machine around the world.

mr x said:
I'd argue pretty heavily that isn't the case, not in the classic Wall street sense. It's a significant piece of a money generating machine around the world.

No-- he's right. The US Department of Defense spends money (our taxes-- whcih they do not earn) and creates situations in which companies can make money (by breaking **** and killing people) but they do not and are not set up to create revenue streams.

From a budgetary process sense, the DoD is not a model used by companies looking to increase shareholder profits, which is the function of most companies.

Wow, I can't believe I am actually saying this, as I like to digress as well, but this budgeting discussion has me bored to tears. It is SO far off topic, that anyone jumping in after page 9 would have NO IDEA what this thread is about.

Hey, so back to the pot.

If the initiative were to create a scenario where the states would independently set their own regulations for control (like the liquor board) I can see that as a win as cash strapped states would set up regulatory institutions or incorporate MJ reg under an existing org. As much as I hate to feed the predatory WA state liquor board with my tax dollars - these things happen in baby steps.

Really didn't have much to say - just trying to steer back on track.:D

Yes, thank you NWernBrewer. The thread is almost about to be locked from you nerds killing us with sheer boredom! I know here in Oregon if such a law were to pass we would soon be the next Amsterdam. Smoking in strip clubs would come back with a vengeance. Coffee houses and brewpubs would multiply like mad across the valley. The downside I see to pot being legal is a massive obesity epidemic from munchies.

My jaw hit the ground on the previous, "I don't want high people driving around me" comment.

HA! Do you actually think that there aren't high people driving around you right now?? Seriously? Sure, and there's no drunk people, upset people, low blood-sugar people, cell phone dialers, screaming mothers, cd shufflers, etc. etc. etc.

shafferpilot said:
My jaw hit the ground on the previous, "I don't want high people driving around me" comment.

HA! Do you actually think that there aren't high people driving around you right now?? Seriously? Sure, and there's no drunk people, upset people, low blood-sugar people, cell phone dialers, screaming mothers, cd shufflers, etc. etc. etc.
LOL! If you see a woman in a little red car eating a sandwich, changing the CD, yelling at the kids and driving with her knee.... look out! It's my SWMBO!

On topic. I see the pot heads on the road hitting the pipe that looks like a cigarette. As if lighting the same damn cigarette over and over doesn't give it away.

MULE said:
LOL! If you see a woman in a little red car eating a sandwich, changing the CD, yelling at the kids and driving with her knee.... look out! It's my SWMBO!

On topic. I see the pot heads on the road hitting the pipe that looks like a cigarette. As if lighting the same damn cigarette over and over doesn't give it away.

So she's a chronic DUIL offender?

(Driving Under the Influence of Life)

MULE said:

One could just roll a joint and smoke that as if it were a cigarette. Put a filter on the end. Its been done before.

It would be nice if the production was regulated like alcohol. Imagine the quality goods that would become available with a craft grower movement that wasn't being shut down every time it was getting fully established and getting strains worked out and bugs worked out and semi-pro to pro equipment... and on and on.:tank:

Back