Howdy from South Central Oregon !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayseed

Reaction score
Howdy All !!
New guy here from Southern Oregon . Ive brewed some over the years using mostly a prohibition recipe I got from my Dad . It made a stout brew for sure and is easily remembered !
1 Can Pabst Blue Ribbon Hopped Malt
10 lbs sugar
10 gallons water
1 cake of yeast

I made it off and on and finally cut sugar in half and then it was more tolerable.

I found a hardware store that was carrying John Bull Dark Malt and corn sugar and the clerk said to crush up a couple camden tablets along with a couple citric acid tablets he was selling there so I did.
So that was the new beer for me !
And he had a 'B' scale hydrometer that when its scale hits the blue line at 'B' you bottle the beer !! That was easier to judge than gettin a dipper of beer in a clear glass and gauging how many bubbles were raising to guess if it was ready or not !
I big can of John Bull Dark Hopped Malt
5# corn sugar
2 camden tablets
2 citric tabs
10 gallons of water

I did that for quite some time until the store closed shop and the grocery quit carrying Pabst Malt syrup.

I am starting up again now that Im retired and am trying to relearn it but in a different manner than the Prohibition Style :)

Back