How you control you pump flow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAZ082

Reaction score
Hello there. How you guys control your centrifugal pumps? I'm interested in using potentiometers but may be difficult to choose one without some testing with load.

Thanks!

Uh, a valve?

I'm sorry, that came off disrespectful.
Let me try again... (proudy) A valve! Controlled manually at the output side of the pump.

I just unplug and plug in my pumps repeatedly, over and over again, until I get the desired outflow. My arms get tired after 30 minutes or so, but its worth it.

Just Kidding, I use a valve as well.

If it's a DC pump you can also control it by reducing the voltage, if you have a variable voltage power supply, or by PWM using a 12V LED dimmer.

I use a 1/2" Baumann normally closed control valve with a DVC 2000 Fieldbus Positioner hooked up to my Foundation Fieldbus segment to control flow and measure flow using a 1/2" micro motion corleous flowmeter. The setup on both pumps ran about $35k total but flow control is dead on accurate. :D

If it's a DC pump you can also control it by reducing the voltage, if you have a variable voltage power supply, or by PWM using a 12V LED dimmer.

Bad idea not to sound rude but that will overheat the windings in your pump and shorten it's life dramatically, a valve is what I use.

They also make controllers for for paddle fans (ceiling fans) that in fact pulse the power on and off to control the speed of the motor.

I made some extra forum searches and found the same replies:

* Ditch the pot, use a valve.
* Electric centrifugal pumps decouples when the flow is not enough because the outlet valve restriction so you are safe.
* Use a PWM, but setting it up would cost like two bombs (bought two of that 12v centrifugal pump on ebay for 22 bucks each). Here in Argentina i can get 1/2" hand ball valve for 4 dollars each, if not for free.

Thanks you guys for not smart-ass me with "use the search" message. :) :)

Bad idea not to sound rude but that will overheat the windings in your pump and shorten it's life dramatically, a valve is what I use.

What is a bad idea? Valve on the output, linear control, and PWM were all given the thumbs up by the rep from the company that sells my pump.

It's a DC pump. AC pumps are a different beast.

What is a bad idea? Valve on the output, linear control, and PWM were all given the thumbs up by the rep from the company that sells my pump.

It's a DC pump. AC pumps are a different beast.

You did not mention you are using a DC pump, you must be hard core :rockin:

Back