How would Yooper do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Brewing YOOPERS 60 min on sunday.Ive read through some of the endless pages,Right around page 217 YOOPER says she brews it a little different then the original.Im wondering if YOOPER still brews it this way.If not maybe YOOPER could give me the lastest and greatest way. Here is the revised way I found. Does the Amber malt still NEED to be Thomas Faucet,LHBS only has a substitute.I need to go to a brewery to get Thomas faucet,kind of a pain

22 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) 96.7 %
12.0 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) 3.3 %

1.00 oz Warrior [18.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 34.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 3.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min 4.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 1.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 1.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min 2.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min 3.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 5 Days
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5 Days

I've used all sorts of yeast strains in this, but find that I like WLP001 the best, while Wyeast 1335 makes the clearest beer along with great flavor.

Yep, that's pretty much it, for a 10 gallon batch. Sometimes I'll use victory malt instead of the amber malt, for a "toasty" flavor instead, but otherwise that's exactly how I do it now. I"ve used Crisp amber malt, and it seems very similar.

And I love WLP001 for this.

There you have it, folks. That's how Yooper would do it.

I could see this becoming quite the thread. I'm sure Yooper has tons of nifty tricks to life up her sleeves.

Yep, that's pretty much it, for a 10 gallon batch. Sometimes I'll use victory malt instead of the amber malt, for a "toasty" flavor instead, but otherwise that's exactly how I do it now. I"ve used Crisp amber malt, and it seems very similar.

And I love WLP001 for this.

and here i was expecting blood of virgins...

Sweet thanks Yooper.My LHBS has the crisp.If minimal difference Ill go that route for the ease of availability.First time brewing this,didnt want to "miss out" on some unique flavor.This will be my Thanksgiving dinner beer...nice:rockin:

I must have messed up my ingredient list.
I dry hopped 2 oz Amarillo in one bucket nothing in the other.
Think I should add some cascade or centennial to the other bucket or leave it with no dry hops?
No more Amarillo or simcoe...oops

Back