How will this effect OG? Bugs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

number40fan

Reaction score
Got an order of 10 lbs. rice malt this evening. After putting the wife to bed I opened the bag and instantly knew I forgot to order it milled. Trying to come up with some way to get it milled so I can start a brew tomorrow, I break out a rolling pin. Reach in the bag and grab a very small amount to see how it would work. Roll it once and started wondering why it looked like some of the crush was moving. Bugs!

Another quick shot of the bag before I wrapped the bag and the box it came in inside of a trash bag and tossed it on the back porch.

Yep, email has been sent to the supplier with these photos.

I find those in my giant Sam's club sized bags of rice all the time. The trouble is that when they packaged it, the bugs weren't there. Any appreciable amount of rice is gonna have some eggs in there which is why I've taken to freezing my rice when I get I home.

However, that many bugs imples a few generations which means it has been sitting around for a while.

So, I'd say that you'd lose at least 3-4 points. A protein rest may be in order.

What would you guys do? Use this or trash it? The company emailed me back and told me that he did find more bugs in his bin, but that I should be ok since I will mashing it. My problem is, since it isn't crushed yet, I'll just squish the bugs.

My thinking is just toss it and get my money back.

Back