How well do you think this will work.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted

Reaction score
I want to start saving money on yeast but wanted a different way that washing or slanting.With the brew I'm doing i used a vial of white labs yeast.What I'm trying is after i pitched the yeast i left just the little residual bit in the vial and capped it.

The next day i prepared a small starter wort of 2 cups water and half cup dme.I swished some around in the vial and then put it and the rest of the wort on a stir plate.24 hours later it was fermenting away.then i made another starter on the same proportions and added it to the original one on the stir plate.It's fermenting away again.

My plan is to let that completely ferment and then put it in the fridge to settle,then decant off the beer.I then plan to fill the original white labs vial with the yeast i collected.Now i have a vial already labeled and ready to go.The next batch i will do the same thing and always have a vial of yeast labeled and ready to go.

It seems like it will work to me,but what do i know,It's just an experiment.How does this sound?

You could do a starter with the vial, then divide it into three or four jars. Then, when you're ready to brew, take one of the jars and make a starter with it, and then pitch when ready.

A problem with your method is that you are pitching without making a starter, which means that you are probaly underpitching.

The method described above, and harvesting and washing as described by Bernie Brewer in his sticky thread, are both easy, simple and work great.

Granted those methods are not hard i kinda wanted my own method of doing it.I would always have a vial with the original label ready to go.I Don't think I'm under pitching,i use the whole vial meant for a five gallon batch and just make a starter from the tiny bit left that has not drained from the vial.Is it more work,maybe?But i like the idea.

I Don't think I'm under pitching,i use the whole vial meant for a five gallon batch and just make a starter from the tiny bit left that has not drained from the vial.

You do not need to make a starter to make beer. But it is highly recommended with white labs to do so, unless you are making a very low gravity beer. Without the starter, you are underpitching.

Below are some links to other threads here where the topic is discussed pretty fully. There are others, also, if you want to get more opinions.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/white-labs-liquid-yeast-starter-question-94041/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/do-i-need-do-starter-if-i-am-using-wyeast-smack-pack-73932/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/starter-necessary-84567/

Cheers!

Ok thanks for the heads up,I'm going to calculate how much yeast to pitch from now on.I guess you Can't believe everything you read on a vial of yeast!

Ok thanks for the heads up,I'm going to calculate how much yeast to pitch from now on.I guess you Can't believe everything you read on a vial of yeast!

**** no. As a general rule, pitching a vial or smack pack is ALWAYS underpitching unless your OG is 1.030 or below. 100B cells just isn't cutting it.

Back