How Urgent To Get Saison Off Hot Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo1898

Instagram | @bierdedbrewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a saison using an equal starter of WL565 and Wyeast 3724. Started low around 63/64 degrees. Held that and open fermented for three days before capping and letting it free rise.

Over the course of day 3 and day 7, added heat til it reached 93-94 degrees, which is where it currently sits. I pulled a sample on day 8 and found the gravity to be 1.010 (OG was 1.057), which was 81/82% attenuation.

The gravity is a little higher than I expected, but has a very dry perception from the sample. Tasted and smelled delicious. So I guess I have two questions:

1. Is 1.010 too high? I did a step mash at 122, 131, 145, 148, 152, and 163. I also added sugar in the boil. Grain bill was 90% pilsner malt with the remaining 10% being the sugar. My concern here is bottle bombs as I'll be refermenting in the bottle, using yeast harvested during early fermentation (day 2).

2. If it is finished, how urgent will it be to get off the the yeast at the temps I fermented at? I need some time to slowly bring the temp down, and eventually crash to the 30's, to drop the yeast out of suspension.

Since you are only on day 8, I'd give a few more days and see if it drops any more.

Maybe turn off the heat after another day or two, and let it slowly cool to ambient temperature, leave it there for a few days, before starting the cold crash.

BTW- a Saison is one of my favorite styles. I currently have three on tap, a super saison, a black saison and a barrel aged saison.

Thanks for the response, Dr. Jeff!

Your tap list sounds great.

Any reason to not push it above 95 for those extra few days?

Since you are only on day 8, I'd give a few more days and see if it drops any more.

Maybe turn off the heat after another day or two, and let it slowly cool to ambient temperature, leave it there for a few days, before starting the cold crash.

BTW- a Saison is one of my favorite styles. I currently have three on tap, a super saison, a black saison and a barrel aged saison.
I'll be right over. Where do you live?

Any reason to not push it above 95 for those extra few days?

I am not sure there is a reason to push it higher. My last couple batches of Saison were made with WLP565. One (with 13% sugar in the bill, mashed at 151F) hit 96% attenuation. The last one (no sugar, mash 148F) hit 89%. I believe in both cases I let them sit at 78F and they were both in the keg at around day 14.

Back