How to use lactic acid powder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nreed

Reaction score
Hi all,

I went to my LHBS today and asked them to throw in some lactic acid and I ended up with this in powder form and I can't find any solid information on how to use it. Has anyone any experience using this and how much to use?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 44
Whoa , I didn't even know there was a powder form . I'm not at home or I'd look but I'm wondering if mash programs have an option

Looks like something one would use in wine making that's unsuitable for brewing. It contains silica (what for?) and calcium lactate which is going to change your mash calcium levels by an indeterminate amount. That should be going straight in the trash.

It contains silica (what for?) and calcium lactate which is going to change your mash calcium levels by an indeterminate amount.

The Silica it contains is an anticaking agent, used everywhere in foods, safe to use in beer or cooking.
I reckon one would use only a small amount anyway, that's not gonna raise your Calcium levels much at all, and ruin your beer.

The bigger question is: @nreed, what did you buy it for?
How far do you need or want to lower your mash pH? Because that's what lactic acid would be used for.

Compared to here in the U.S. we can buy 88% Lactic Acid (a liquid), you'd only need a few ml of that to correct mash pH in a 5 gallon batch, if any at all, although it depends of course on the brewing water's hardness and alkalinity.

Using Google I found more than a few links to Lactic Acid powder:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Milliard...O-Enrich-Foods-with-Calcium-2-Pound/116187704https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/lactic-acid-powder.550808/
If inconclusive, maybe start by estimating the powder at 60% Lactic Acid (by weight), and do a test mash using a water calculator such as Bru'nwater or Brewer's Friend. There are others.

Latest posts

Back