How to use 120 ft of copper for a chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Whats the most efficient way to use 2 60Ft rolls of 1/2 copper for a IC.
20 gal concord pot which is 18"W x 18"H
10 gal batches
Planning on running a pond pump for each in an ice bin

2 tight rolled coils towards the outside of pot on top of each other from top of pot to bottom?
one loose roll towards the outside of the pot,one roll in the center rolled tighter?
These ideas came to mind,open to all suggestions,Thanks

I have no data or comparative tests. But I made a double coil 50' chiller that I like, inner and outer coils. It makes sense to me to chill throughout the pot.

If you don't do the ribcage style (looks pretty effective though) at least make the IC a wider diameter....you want as many coils as you can get under the surface and as much room to whirlpool as possible. A narrow diameter chiller sticks up too much and interferes with the whirlpool.

I'd cut the rolls in half and make four 30' 8"-10" diameter coils. Do the ribcage style interweave of the 4 coils. make sure you feed water in parallel to get the biggest temp difference over the length each coil and you should have a killer ic. or use just 3 of the 30' coils for the ic and keep one for summer use as a prechiller.

Latest posts

Back