How to tell if a porter is cleared

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satt8404

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first beer and I went with a porter. How do I tell if it is cleared in the secondary fermenter and ready to be transferred to my keg? Thanks.

I'm brewing my first beer and I went with a porter. How do I tell if it is cleared in the secondary fermenter and ready to be transferred to my keg? Thanks.

How long in fermenter? How long in secondary? And does it matter it it's clear since it's so dark you can't see thru it anyway? But perhaps you don't mean clear in that sense.

It has been in the primary fermenter for about 3 days so far, so I haven't transferred it into the secondary fermenter yet. I was just wondering if there was a certain way to tell if it is ready to be transferred into the keg. Like I said, this is my first batch so I really am not sure what to look for.

leave it at least 2 weeks, possibly more.

at 2 weeks check your gravity, then again at about 3 weeks. if the gravity hasn't changed you are done.

no need for secondary.

my most recent porter stayed in the primary for four weeks, and then bottled. after approx 6 weeks in the bottle it was VERY nice.

the main advice i can give you is just leave it alone for a couple weeks. don't mess with it.

Leave it alone for 2, 3 or 4 weeks. A porter isn't going to be clear so don't worry about that. Check FG and bottle condition. Clarity is for competitions and such. I drink cloudy beer. But you are already kegging, leaps and bounds ahead of me.

Back