How to Tell How Old Hops Are

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_striker

Reaction score
One of the local homebrew stores sells hops at pretty cheap prices. They sell the 1oz Hopunion packets for $1.39-$1.99. I of course bought a bunch of different varieties and brewed my last 4 batches exclusively with these hops.

All 4 batches were American ales with a lot of late addition hops. All four batches came out with virtually no hop aroma or flavor like my previous recipes have. My process and water profile is very controlled and I usually have no problem with repeatabity and reproducibility.

I have come to the conclusion that the hops are possibly very old hops that the homebrew store probably bought at a discount.

Is there a way one can one tell what harvest year hops are from by looking at the packaging?

Cut them in half and count the rings.

Oh wait, That's trees.
I would think if they smell good they should be good.
Are they the same variety as you usually get? Could it be that they came from a farm that was a lot different than the conditions where the hops you usually get are farmed?

Cut them in half and count the rings.

Oh wait, That's trees.
I would think if they smell good they should be good.
Are they the same variety as you usually get? Could it be that they came from a farm that was a lot different than the conditions where the hops you usually get are farmed?

Lol!

I've used Hopunion pellets frequently in the past. Mainly Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook. They've performed well in the past.

As far as smell, yeah they smelled "good" in that they didnt smell cheesy or musty. Did they smell as potent as fresh hop pellets? I honestly don't recall. Additionally, I think it would be difficult to gauge unless I were directly comparing them side by side to "fresh" pellets.

I just think that it would be great if it was mandatory for the vintage to be listed on the packaging.

If they are at least kept cold hops can keep for a long time. I have a couple ounces of 2009 Nelson Sauvin in my deep freezer that smell way more potent than my 2011 Nelson. Some years seem to leave better crops.

I agree that they should say what crop year on the packaging. You can just ask the LHBS.

Latest posts

Back