How to say "Motueka"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First selected by a notable Belgian brewery lead to this variety being called Belgian Saaz and later shortened to “B” Saaz so as not confuse country of origin.

I live about a 15 minute drive away from Motueka. I'm no linguist but it has two pronunciations and neither of them are like that video.

It is a Maori name. The local "european" way of saying it is Mot Chew Acre or thereabouts.

The Maori pronunciation would be something like mow two ecka.

My parents lived in Ohope for about 2 years, and they pronounced it "Mah-tew- kah" there. Unless I'm confusing a different word - there is a tree or bush by that same name, yeah?

I don't know if you mean Ohope which is nowhere near Motueka or Hope which is nearby. I haven't heard anyone pronounce it mah-tew-kah.

Motueka is an abbreviated version of Motuweka - motu means island and Weka is a flightless bird (from Wikipedia).

I live about a 15 minute drive away from Motueka. I'm no linguist but it has two pronunciations and neither of them are like that video.

It is a Maori name. The local "european" way of saying it is Mot Chew Acre or thereabouts.

The Maori pronunciation would be something like mow two ecka.

YES, FINALLY, I am pronouncing something correct without any coaching.

I am still thinking everyone is crazy on how to pronounce diacytal.

Latest posts

Back