how to save my pilsner from oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memustbefree

Reaction score
So I had it in primery for 3 weeks and now I raked it to a corney keg for lagering all good so far but my problem are when i was going to fill the head space with CO2 I find out my tank are empty..:mad:
What would you do?
put it in bottles, leave it in the corney or put it back in a clean fermenter??
or maybe something ells?
would it be ok just to put in sugar and shake the keg a bit to seal it?
Can get a refill in 5days to a week
Need some help here!
Cheers

You will get some CO2 outgassing from the beer into the headspace. But the oxygen will have no where to go, so that'll stay in there as well. Probably works if you just let it sit undisturbed.

Alternativey you could prime it with sugar (I'd go 2/3 cup of corn sugar for normal carb leves, 1/2 cup if you like it lighter). Do not shake the keg. But do assure you have good keg seals (keg lube does wonders). It will then need 2-3 weeks to carb up at room temps before you chill it down for final lagering. You will create some extra yeast this way. I like to pull four 1/4 pints, spaced out every hour or two to clear most of the yeast out. After that it should be mostly clear (getting really clear over time).

Back