How to remove an airlock without dumping water into my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggrizzly

Reaction score
I want to remove the airlock to change out the water for a Starsan or Vodka fill. I filled it up last night with regular bottled water and now want to change it out for the mentioned. However, if I pull it out the pressure seems to want to suck the water back into the pail.

I'd recommend leaving it alone if you're just gonna do a seven-to-twelve-day fermentation then rack. There's nothing wrong with regular water in an airlock, just so long as you don't get it in the beer. Save your good idea for next time.

Never a problem here with twisting and pulling. However, if for some reason it appears it will dump in you can always wet your thumb and cover the airlock opening as you remove it. This will keep pressure but this only works with the S shaped ones.

Rev.

Is this a three piece? You could also take off the top and wick off the water with some paper towel, then when it's low you can replace it with star san or vodka...

Even if you get a little bit of the water, to go in the beer, it's really not going to hurt anything.

Just add a drop of StarSan concentrate to the water in the airlock. That'll kill anything that may be alive in there.

Back