How to read temperature strip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
So looking at this strip here, what tempurature would it be? I always have two or 3 different colored sections. Sometimes even a green one

DEAEC2B1-6800-41C6-BEDA-AE2AFB036099_zpsi48wbgmy.jpg

64 degrees

I read it as 66 degrees. 64 is blue - 68 is brown - actual is in between. Since you read 64, I wonder if different manufacturers code them differently.

OP - 4 degrees jump from one to the next isn't very accurate, but probably ok. Others I've seen are 2 degree increments. If you want good accuracy, it might be worth finding one of those.

yeah in all seriousness, there usually is a greenish color that I would go by. But the difference doesnt matter too much. If you are taking temperature readings with the strip, there's a decent amount of error anyway since its on the outside of the fermentor

I want a thermometer strip that only reads °F. It bothers my OCD that the °F is not in consistent increments.

i would think only way to get true temperature reading is to sanitize a thermocouple and leave it in the beer during fermenting and hook the end up and read it digitally, if you want to be that precise...

Back