how to raise alcohol levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've used mrbeer extract kits..they made it fairly easy to raise alcohol content with a few booster packs..I wanted ti start using morebeer producrs because of cost effectiveness..how to I raise a 4.4% beer and raise it to 8.3% alcohol using morebeer?

I've used mrbeer extract kits..they made it fairly easy to raise alcohol content with a few booster packs..I wanted ti start using morebeer producrs because of cost effectiveness..how to I raise a 4.4% beer and raise it to 8.3% alcohol using morebeer?

Why, other than the obvious, do you want to make this a higher abv?? What style are you going for? 8%+ Territory is getting into RIS, DIPA/IIPA, Barleywines, and stronger belgians.
I like my big beers, and I tend to have my abv in that range for the beers I like (unless its a hefe/ pale ale), such as stouts and ipa's, and come up with a recipe to 'hide' the higher abv.

But, the easiest was is what Glynn said, and to add more malt/ sugar.

If you try to double the ABV you really should revamp the recipe. If all you want is high ABV make Apfelwine, if you want beer, make good, balanced beer.

Back