how to process pureed pears for fermentation ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
there's a pear tree on city property in my neighborhood that hundreds and hundreds of pears sitting on the ground waiting to rot. Rather than let them go to waste I decided to try my hand at cider. I grabbed around 50 pounds of pears. I did not peel them but I cored them and used my friend's blendtec to turn them into either a very thin puree or a pulpy juice depending on how you want to describe it. I then frozen what is probably 6 or more gallons of the stuff.

My question is this. How do I remove the remaining solids, or do I even need to before I thaw and pitch the yeast?

Make sure to give it a nice dose of pectic enzyme, should help break down the solids even more for sugar/juice extraction.

I would add campden tablets as well (campden, wait 12 hours, pectic enzyme, wait 12 hours, yeast).

Make sure to give it a nice dose of pectic enzyme, should help break down the solids even more for sugar/juice extraction.

How much would you recommend for 5-6 gallons?

Also, while I'm at it, whats the shortest amount of time I could let this ferment for and still get a good cider?

My reason behind asking this is the following: I am opening a nanobrewery and would like to have something on tap to please celiacs and non-beer drinkers alike. I obviously want to make a quality product but I don't know if I can afford to have a fermentor tied up for 3-4 months. If I can only afford to wait a month or so, what kind of steps should I take? I imagine the most important factors would be yeast selection and ferm temp but I don't know how to manipulate those.

Ideas??

Also, while I'm at it, whats the shortest amount of time I could let this ferment for and still get a good cider?

My reason behind asking this is the following: I am opening a nanobrewery and would like to have something on tap to please celiacs and non-beer drinkers alike. I obviously want to make a quality product but I don't know if I can afford to have a fermentor tied up for 3-4 months. If I can only afford to wait a month or so, what kind of steps should I take? I imagine the most important factors would be yeast selection and ferm temp but I don't know how to manipulate those.

Ideas??

Depending on yeast, temp and pitching rate cider shouldn't take more than a couple weeks to ferment. Once you've bottled or kegged the cider may continue to mature for a while. That really depends on what kind of cider you've fermented. If you're using the crap on the shelf what you see is likely what you get, and it's not great. If you're using real pressed cider it will likely improve with age.

Back