How to pitch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b_mckendry

Reaction score
When pitching the yeast.. Do i just add it in and let it settle itself or do i stir it in?

Im not using as much yeast in this recipe as i did with my first attempt...

b_mckendry said:
When pitching the yeast.. Do i just add it in and let it settle itself or do i stir it in?

Im not using as much yeast in this recipe as i did with my first attempt...

Rehydrate first. Then mix WELL into the wort. The yeast needs air at first.

im confused on what you mean by rehydrate?

pitch it and let it sit there a little bit? then mix it in?

b_mckendry said:
im confused on what you mean by rehydrate?

pitch it and let it sit there a little bit? then mix it in?

Add your yeast to some boiled water (cooled to around 80°) and let sit for 30 mins or more. you still want your water a touch warm. Not alot of water maybe a 1/2 cup or so. Add to your wort and stir like a mad man. This will help i promise.

Although you could just sprinkle it on top, re-hydrating is a good way of verifying that your yeast is still viable. Yeast initially need lots of O2. Aerate the schist out of your wort; stirring, shaking, using a wire whip, an air stone and a tank of O2, etc..

I'm no pro by any means (20-25 batches of beer/cider/wine), but when I transfer from brew pot to primary, I simply use a strainer... Not to strain out sediment from the boil, but to aerate the wort. Then just toss the yeast on top of it, whether dry or liquid. Putting the wort through the strainer gives it enough oxygen to let the yeast do what is does best, make booze! :mug:

Back