How to make this beer enjoyable.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to brew a cranberry orange wit. Not enough fruit and realized at bottling that I forgot the spices. Have a case bottled and a 2.5 gal keg.
It came in around 1.006 with an abv of 7% as my efficiency and fermentation was better then expected.
It is drinkable but lacking. What can I do to make it enjoyable? Some type of shandy? Add spices somehow and what kind to the keg?
I bought a bottle of brewers best cranberry extract and added .5ml to two bottles and recapped and set aside 2 weeks, bleck like cough medicine.

You can add spices to the keg, if you're willing to accept the tradeoff of brief oxygen exposure. If you're not happy with your beer as it is, it might be worth it.

Just get some cranberry juice and mix while drinking. I had a similar situation with a wit and I just added a few ounces of orange juice to the glass and filled with the wit, made it totally drinkable.

I sometimes mix 2/3 white beer with 1/3 orange juice. Call it a poor man's mimosa. Working class mimosa is with bubbly wine. Real one is with champagne but who the hell would ruin champagne with juice...?

You can add spices to the keg, if you're willing to accept the tradeoff of brief oxygen exposure. If you're not happy with your beer as it is, it might be worth it.
What would be a good recipe of spices to do this and is it put them in and let em ride or bag them and pull out after x amount of days?

What would be a good recipe of spices to do this and is it put them in and let em ride or bag them and pull out after x amount of days?

What/how much spice(s) to use depends on what you want the beer to taste like. If you don't know, then maybe for your 2.5 gallon keg, try 0.3-0.4 oz of fresh ground Indian coriander. When I've dry-spiced in kegs, I've just added the spices to the keg "commando."

Well after reading all of these I bought a bottle of straight cranberry juice and one of lemonade and will be trying the shandy route. Will use one of my wife's ss reusable tea pods to do a dunk of some coriander in a glass to get an idea of what it should taste like.
Albion's would be good with spicy food is a good idea too.

I tested a bit. One glass put 1/4 cranberry juice. Tasted between a tart and sour, not bad. Crushed a couple coriander seeds and added to another glass, lemon with a hint of pepper (?) Next I will try with lemonade. See if slightly sweeter will make a difference. Too much fun.

Back