How to make the cheapest case of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1ryno

Reaction score
Anybody have any really good cost reduction tecniques?

Buy 50 lb bags of grain?

Buy hops in bulk?

Cheap LME/DME?

Yeast in bulk?

Who has the cheapest case of beer brew recipe?

Cost reduction... well, buy grain and hops in bulk. I pay $25 for a 25kilo sack of pale, 10 bucks a pound for hops is common. I brew all grain, so dont use LME/DME for much other than starters. Wash your yeast to reduce the amount of times you purchase it. Cheapest case? it all comes down to the recipe.

Anybody have any really good cost reduction tecniques?

Buy 50 lb bags of grain?

Buy hops in bulk?

Cheap LME/DME?

Yeast in bulk?

Who has the cheapest case of beer brew recipe?

Grain and hops in bulk, DME in bulk if you use it, wash and re-use yeast. I think you can also get a deal on a carton of dry yeast packets.

Yeah, all those things work pretty well. And as mentioned, washing & reusing yeast.

I don't know about a case of beer, since I typically make larger batches than that, but if I had to estimate I'd say I could make a case of a decent pale ale for less than $5.

I suppose you can reduce your per-batch costs by going electric, although you'll spend some money getting there...

Rather than using DME for starters, make yourself a bit of extra wort on a simple batch (e.g. pale ale) and save it in the freezer. Personally, I just make small batches for starters in my rice cooker.

You can also make your own specialty malts at home if you like, although it's a bit of a pain IMO.

Yeah, all those things work pretty well. And as mentioned, washing & reusing yeast.

I don't know about a case of beer, since I typically make larger batches than that, but if I had to estimate I'd say I could make a case of a decent pale ale for less than $5.

I suppose you can reduce your per-batch costs by going electric, although you'll spend some money getting there...

Rather than using DME for starters, make yourself a bit of extra wort on a simple batch (e.g. pale ale) and save it in the freezer. Personally, I just make small batches for starters in my rice cooker.

You can also make your own specialty malts at home if you like, although it's a bit of a pain IMO.

All good ideas... You gave some different angles to think about.

Thanks.

weirdboy said:

Do you have a write up on using your rice cooker to make starters? If not, could you elaborate a bit on that? Obviously through a PM or alternate thread as to not hijack....please and thank you!

Yeast and hops are the most expensive things for me. Everything mentioned is bang on, wash your yeast for 5+ batches, buy bulk grain for dirt cheap, use more base malt than specialty and bulk hops, or grow your own hops for free!

My cheapest batch was a SMaSH with Munich 10L malt from a local malting company (.40c/lb), fresh whole hops from a local farmer (.60c/oz) and washed yeast on it's fourth or fifth cycle. Total for the 6 gallons was something like $7. I average around $10-$18 per batch of real cost using the above techniques, with the high end being IPA's.

I agree that using cheap yeast is important in keeping price down. Wash or pitch on yeast cake as often as possible, or use a known commercial yeast cultured from the bottle; a six pack typically only cost a few dollars more than a vial of liquid yeast.

Buy ingredients in bulk. Reuse or grow your own yeast. If you have a spread, grow some hops. That's about as cheap as you'll get.

And if you have a local brewery, ask them for some yeast. Often times, they'll give you a ton. They have way more than they can use.

Premier Malt Extract ($7.26 at Piggly Wiggly comes with yeast+instructions) + 2 pounds of sugar = 5 gallons of mediocre cheap beer.

Premier.JPG

Do you have a write up on using your rice cooker to make starters? If not, could you elaborate a bit on that? Obviously through a PM or alternate thread as to not hijack....please and thank you!

Wait... I want to know too... if you start a new thread for this let me know... otherwise I want to know too :)

Also, what about freezing the wort? Does sugar get damaged when frozen?

Back