How to make a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esclavosoy

Reaction score
Ok I bought a Black IPA kit and just now realize I'm missing a lot of hops from my kit. So I'm trying to save this batch and make a stout. Can you help me with fixing this mess.
I have:

1oz Summit
1oz Chinook
1oz Cascade

Only beer I think I can make with this O.G 1.075 ish brew is a stout.

I'm heating up the wort right now.

TIA Gabriel

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought a Black IPA differs from a stout in the actual grain bill as well as hopping schedule/quantity.

Without changing the grain bill won't you have a less hoppy Black IPA? Or maybe some other non-stout style? (black ale? that's a thing right?)

(Disclosure: I've never made a Black IPA. I've considered it but most recipes would be very exspensive for me to make with the local price of hops.)

I'm not a big stout guy. I do know the amount of grain is about the same. I wish this was going to be an IPA.

I already mashed out yesterday and risking this becoming w sour. I'm going to wait get some hops and try tonight

If you're going for a stout, my understanding of the style is that it isn't very focused on the hops. Looking at John Palmer's Mill Run Stout recipe, the hops go in at 60 minutes and 30 minutes, which produces more bitterness and less hop flavour. I definitely couldn't taste much hoppiness in the batch I made, at any rate.

My advice would be to pick from your three hops the one that's cheapest at your brew supplier, since you won't be getting much hoppy flavour out of it anyway.

It won't be roasty enough with the amount of black or roasted malt in a black ipa kit to make a stout. Should have waited or made a black pale ale

Split your hops between 60 and 0 min additions. In the next couple weeks, pick up more to dry hop. That would be more like a dark IPA.

Back