How to hop this english style ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrathchild

Reaction score
Hi fellas, I have 8lbs Simpsons English maris otter and 5lbs best Maltz red x. I have us04 yeast and some magnum hops and 2 oz of fuggles. I also have a bunch of denali hops too but I wasn't really thinking about using them. Its gonna be a 6 gallon batch. How should I hop this? I want the magnum for a 60 minute addition to get to about 30 ibu's but when should I add the fuggles? Not so worried about using the denali but I could if some good advise is handed to me

I'd just add the 2 oz of Fuggles at flameout, with a 15-20 min whirlpool. You'll get a bit of bitterness, but mostly flavor/aroma. And save the Denali for another beer. Cheers! Rick

Keep the Magnum at 60 to get your 30 ibu's. And you could get fancy and make your own invert sugar to dry it out a little and add some more English character. But I think your Maris Otter/Red X is a fine combination...

Keep the Magnum at 60 to get your 30 ibu's. And you could get fancy and make your own invert sugar to dry it out a little and add some more English character. But I think your Maris Otter/Red X is a fine combination...
Like a simple sugar solution?

There's a great thread titled "English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?" It'll keep you busy for awhile. But invert sugar is a simple sugar solution boiled with acid (I use citric). You can Google it to get a basic understanding. It's popular in traditional English ales...

There's a great thread titled "English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?" It'll keep you busy for awhile. But invert sugar is a simple sugar solution boiled with acid (I use citric). You can Google it to get a basic understanding. It's popular in traditional English ales...
Cool man I will look it up! I can do simple sugar no problem. I just added some to some wild persimmon wine im making!

Thank you for turning me on to invert sugars as I now understand it as a better substitute to crystal malts which im borderline done with cause of their unpredictable sweetness. This is a good basis to get very fermentable sugar and attenuate out fully leaving only the flavor of how high of a temperature you cook the sugar wash at. Im not gonna use it in this batch but im definitely taking it as an option to crystal malts. Only thing is, I dont know how much to use in an all grain batch

Start small, 5 to 8 ounces and see what it does to your gravity in whatever recipe software you use, then see how it works out in the end. Tasting is testing :) .

Start small, 5 to 8 ounces and see what it does to your gravity in whatever recipe software you use, then see how it works out in the end. Tasting is testing :) .
When do you add the invert? During boil? Its gotta have time to dissolve but how long do I keep it in there?

I usually add it with ten minutes left in the boil. Like most sugar additions, remove the heat during addition to minimize scorching, stir until it's combined well and then restart the heat. Some add it to the fermentor after a couple days to maximize the flavor addition...

I usually add it with ten minutes left in the boil. Like most sugar additions, remove the heat during addition to minimize scorching, stir until it's combined well and then restart the heat. Some add it to the fermentor after a couple days to maximize the flavor addition...
I was wondering if you cook your invert to about 315 degrees and kill it before it burns, does the sugar get caramelized to the point it won't all be fermentable? I think at about 240 degrees you get a clear goo thats 100% fermentable. When you caramelize the sugar does this drive down the fermentability of the caramelized sugars?

I'm certainly no expert on invert...but I don't think it loses it's fermentability even though it caramelizes with more and more melanoidin reactions as it is boiled further down. Molasses is pretty dark and ferments very well...

I'm certainly no expert on invert...but I don't think it loses it's fermentability even though it caramelizes with more and more melanoidin reactions as it is boiled further down. Molasses is pretty dark and ferments very well...
That is a reassuring response! I'll have to try it to test it out

Back