How to ground Ebiab panel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blynes

Reaction score
I am finally getting back into brewing after a long hiatus and have decided to swItch to electric. I am almost finished wiring up a BIAB diy kit from Electric Brewing Supply and I am confused on how to ground my my panel. There is nothing mentioned in the wiring booklet that was included with the kit. Any guidance on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. If someone has one of these panels and they do not mind sharing a picture of the internals, that would probably clarify things.
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

I am certainly not a panel expert, but do know a fair bit about electricity. Looks like you just have to run ground wires from the post on the cover and the ground bus on the main panel (you've got openings on the top left and top right) to the post on the left hand side of the box.

You want to ground that back panel, easiest would be at the mounting screw. Also the front door, there is a stud for that. Finally I like to ground the ssr and heat sink using one of its mounting screws just to be on the safe side.

Then use a meter and check continuity between the enclosure, kettle, main power source, and the surface of your element.

After that, post a new picture and ask DougCZ to look at it :)

Screenshot_20181121-110517.jpeg
Screenshot_20181121-110604.jpeg

Thank you both for your help. What confuses me is the ground wire itself. Where on the control panel do I start it at before terminating it at the ground posts?

There's a module on your center rail that says "C65N" on it. Just to the right of that is an open ground terminal. I would pull a green wire from that to the post on the left hand inside of the box. Then another wire from that post to the post on the front cover.

It certainly couldn't hurt to pull a wire from the SSR mount to the top screw on the rear panel, and from the bottom screw on the rear panel over to the post on the left hand side, as BeardedBrews suggests. In theory that should already be grounded as you have it now. But there's no harm in overdoing it.

It also looks like you may have your neutral from your input tied to your grounds. You need to keep those separate.

Thank you all for your help. I think I’m just about to get this thing wrapped up. The panel is now grounded and the neutral wire has been corrected.

There is one thing that still confuses me. This BIAB panel kit from Electric Brewing Supply came with two red FBS 3-6 terminal bridges. There is no mention in the supplied manual as to where they go on the terminal blocks. Their larger panel schematics show them but not the BIAB panel. Anyone with this panel or a similar build know where on the terminal blocks these are supposed to go?
IMG_0002.JPG

Thank you all for your help. I think I’m just about to get this thing wrapped up. The panel is now grounded and the neutral wire has been corrected.

There is one thing that still confuses me. This BIAB panel kit from Electric Brewing Supply came with two red FBS 3-6 terminal bridges. There is no mention in the supplied manual as to where they go on the terminal blocks. Their larger panel schematics show them but not the BIAB panel. Anyone with this panel or a similar build know where on the terminal blocks these are supposed to go?View attachment 599220

Those are terminal block jumpers. One goes to the three ground terminal blocks(green) and the other goes to the three white terminal blocks (neutral) They just push in. Make sure they push in all the way

There is one thing that still confuses me. This BIAB panel kit from Electric Brewing Supply came with two red FBS 3-6 terminal bridges. There is no mention in the supplied manual as to where they go on the terminal blocks. Their larger panel schematics show them but not the BIAB panel. Anyone with this panel or a similar build know where on the terminal blocks these are supposed to go?

Is this a 120v panel?

Your use of grounding wires in that trace is a little puzzling.

Also I circled where to stab those red things. Connect the blocks together left to right, it marries the three individuals into one combined block.

20181123_195746.jpeg

Is this a 120v panel?

Your use of grounding wires in that trace is a little puzzling.

Also I circled where to stab those red things. Connect the blocks together left to right, it marries the three individuals into one combined block.

View attachment 599228

No, this is the 240v BIAB diy panel kit from Electric Brewing Supply. I followed the wiring diagram that was supplied with the kit and is also available on their site.

In that case, double check the connections from the power input against the wiring diagram.

Best practice would be to keep your ground and neutral separate.

I got the neutral separated now. Tested the panel out and it fired right up! Greatly appreciate the help!
Awesome news. Use plenty of caution until you've verified all the grounds and connected and powered up the element+pump. If there's problems that's when they'd probably show up.

Good luck and safe brewing.

Back