How to go about conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSmith19

Reaction score
I was curious as to the stages everyone uses to ferment their beer (not necessarily how long but that's good to know too). For example, should the wort be put into a plastic pail for primary and then put into a glass carboy for secondary or could I just leave it in the Carboy for both and only transfer to bottles?

It depends on the beer. I don't bottle, but the process really doesn't change. I don't use a secondary because I think it unnecessary, and don't like to handle my beer any more than is necessary. So for most of my beers I'll ferment (usually about a week), then let the beer sit on the yeast for another week or so (diacetyl rest). Sometimes I'll then cold crash for a few days, before kegging. I leave it in the keg for a week for carbonation and some additional conditioning.

I generally leave my beer in the primary for 3 weeks. If the beer requires dry hopping I then rack to secondary and dry hop for a week or so and cold crash for a week or so.

The only reason I use secondary to dry hop is because I re use my yeasi usually then keg and leave Sunday it for a coupke more weeks before drink it.

It mainly has to do with the style tho

Mine average about 3 weks to hit FG,clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle carb & condition at 70 or a bit more for 3-4 weeks. Then fridge time for at least a week to settle any chill haze & get co2 into solution.

I harvest the yeast and reuse so I secondary after a week. Depending on how much I have been drinking it will set in the secondary for a week or three. I bottle it and keep it warm for a month or two then store in the cellar at 50 degree for another month and then drink it up :D

Having a big pipeline is a good thing.

Back