How to get the most of 2oz hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Know

Reaction score
How do you maximize the efficiency of hops?

What is the most effective time to use 2oz of hops during the boil when trying to make a cheap pale ale?

11# 6-row (I get it free)
1# Crystal 20L

And what type of hops with what acids ranges would be most efficient? (all hops same $/ounce at LHBS)

Do bittering or flavor additions have a greater impact? I feel like aroma hops would be the least efficient.

If you had to make the "hoppiest" pale ale you could with only 2oz of hops, what type and when?

Personally I like simcoe which is high in alpha acids and tastes great. I would do something like 1/2oz at the start of the boil, 1/2oz at 20 mins and 1oz at 5 mins or flameout.

Columbus is a great dual purpose hop that has a lot of bang for your buck.

I do this every time i brew. My ipas suffer because of it but i just cant afford to put a ton of hops in my "everyday" beer.
I like using chinook, simcoe, Apollo, and centennial.

Do a first wort hop full ibu addition for your bitterness and
put in everything else it at flame out. Beersmith helps a lot with stuff like ibu's

Beersmith helps a lot with stuff like ibu's

Yea, I've been toying around with additions in Beersmith. The thing is, I've just not put much brewing research time into hops (hardly any actually). So I don't even know the taste difference between throwing them all in at first wort or throwing them all in at flame out. So I guess I should just split it between the two.

Right now, I'm thinking:
1oz (High AA Hop) - First wort (for 35-40 IBUs)
1oz Amarillo - Flameout

My vote would be for dry hopping for the incredible aroma. Choose a high alpha for your bittering hop and use software to decide how much is necessary to get the IBU's you like for you IPA (my level of proper bitterness for an IPA may be different from yours so don't blindly follow somebody else's advice). Some will suggest an addition of somewhere between 15 minutes and flameout but I'd pass that by in favor of the dry hop when fermentation is over. There is no point in boiling off the volatiles when that is what gives you the aroma.

Apollo is like Cascade on steroids. About 18% AA. Try 0.7 oz at 60 min, 0.5 oz hop stand at 175F and dry hop with 0.8 oz. This will be about 50 IBU with some grapefruit flavor and aroma. Or just do a 1.3 oz dry hop.

There are lots of different approaches for finessing your beer, but I feel that the combination to use for efficient use of the hops is 1) adding some at 60 minutes for some of the bittering and 2) adding around 1 to 1.25 oz for a hop stand (I use 30 minutes) at around 190F. The hop stand gives you lots of flavor and aroma. And I find with the 30 minute hop stand starting at 190F, I get hop utilization equivalent to about a 10 minute boil, so those hops also contribute significantly to the IBU's. Simcoe, Mosaic, or other high alpha hops give you the most bang for the buck.

Use a "clean bittering" hop as a 60 minute boil then a flame-out addition and dry hop. Something like this (assuming 5 gallon batch):

.5 OZ Magnum 60 minutes
.75 OZ Centennial at Flame-out
.75 OZ Cascade/Columbus/Centennial dry hop

You get a nice 30'ish IBU's. Unless you chill particularly fast, you at flame-out addition is actually a 10 minute flavor/aroma addition. Dry hop is an amazing aroma adder.

Yea, I've been toying around with additions in Beersmith. The thing is, I've just not put much brewing research time into hops (hardly any actually). So I don't even know the taste difference between throwing them all in at first wort or throwing them all in at flame out. So I guess I should just split it between the two.

Right now, I'm thinking:
1oz (High AA Hop) - First wort (for 35-40 IBUs)
1oz Amarillo - Flameout

The main difference is fwh is all bitterness. No real flavor or aroma will come out of a fwh addition. Flameout and whirlpool are the opposite. All flavor and aroma but no bitterness. Dry hopping will do this too.
Fwh vs a 60 or 90 minute addition is debatable. Some say fwh give a smoother bitterness and more bitterness out of the hop addition. So in other words you get more ibu's by fwh than you would adding the same amount of hops at the start of the boil. I fwh all my beers. IMO i think there's a difference and i like it.

Back