how to get the clearest brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpfeil8484

Reaction score
hey everyone...i am on my 9th brew and after trial and error ive got a good system down as of now and my beers have been turning out great! the one problem i have is the clearity somtimes its good other times its bad...i am still using extract kits from the store namely brewers best and midwest supplies. i now use a boiling bag for the hops, a wort chiller and i cold crash is there anything else i can do?

:mug:

i have done that definitely worked how long do you all usally cold crash and at what temp

Gelatin in the keg with a cold crash = crystal clear beer in about 5 days.

Edit, I see you're bottling not kegging... I'm not sure if the gelatin will strip too much yeast for bottling.

This was an IPA I did after 1 week.

Edit, I see you're bottling not kegging... I'm not sure if the gelatin will strip too much yeast for bottling.

I cracked open a bottle of my first batch of beer using gelatin as a fining combined with cold crashing. There were plenty of yeast left in suspension to handle the carbonation.

Clearest brew I've ever made, by far.

QUOTE]
I'bottle, and I cold crash and use gelatin on pretty much everything. Never any problems with carbonation.
Nice looking glass of beer, by the way.

For other posters: Irish moss(or whirlfloc) works real well to settle out the hotbreak material, but coldcrashing and gelatin works best for the coldhaze proteins(and yeast).
Using both techniques(and TIME, the greatest clearing method of all) yields the cleanest brew.

:eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:

This was an IPA I did after 1 week.

PRETTY BEER!!!!!:eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:

Irish moss has always worked great for me. I am not a perfectionist when it comes to looks... only taste... so I haven't bothered with any other techniques. The Moss gets me to where I want to be.

I've seen that irish moss/super moss continues to work when you put the wort in the fermenter & top off. I get about 2L of cold break,initial trub,etc. It settles down to between 3/8-1/2" in a day or two.

1) Bag your hops.

2) Whirlfloc (or Irish Moss if you like) at 10 min.

3) After chilling, cover the brew kettle and let things settle 15-20 min before transferring to the fermenter. Try to leave as much gunk behind in the kettle as you can.

4) After fermentation is complete, cold crash to 35-36*F at least 4 days.

5) When moving the fermenter after crashing, be gentle and try to not slosh it around. Rack to the bottling bucket or keg while the beer is still cold. If priming for bottling, give it a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon to evenly distribute the sugar. Yes, there's enough yeast left after crashing to bottle carb just fine.

Back